Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 10:24 AM

Do we have to go shopping on Boxing Day?

There are another 363 shopping days each year so why do shops feel they have to open on Boxing Day?

For me tomorrow is a day for nipping round a few family members. Because of the wretched shops I'm going to have to battle through the retail traffic instead of a pleasant journey on quiet roads.

A second day off is good for shopworkers, the environment and, most of all, ourselves.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 10:30 AM

Re: Do we have to go shopping on Boxing Day?

I agree Devon theres no need for the shops to open on Boxing day at all...its all for greed!!
Its not as if the country would grind to a halt if people had the day off...I dont go out on Boxing Day only to family...I know some workers dont have a choice but to work but Im talking of the shop folk here...imo it all boils down to greed.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 10:35 AM

I think the idea of boxing day sales was to get rid of all the extra unsold Christmas stock. Now there seem to be sales all year round.

I won't be going out shopping on Boxing day
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 10:45 AM

No need for shopping myself, and won't have family to visit, so spect I'll be staying in to cook my own Christmas dinner and just enjoy the P&Q after today's festivities.

I never bother with sales and can't understand those who do.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 11:08 AM

It's not Boxing Day for everyone....only Christians.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 11:17 AM

I've never been much interested in sales, not Boxing Day or any other day.
I agree with others that the shops needn't be open on that day.
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I disagree. It is an essential part of the calendar for Christians and non-Christians alike.
devon56
London

25-12-2016, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I disagree. It is an essential part of the calendar for Christians and non-Christians alike.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 11:57 AM

I have always thought of Christmas being a family day with food and merriment and Boxing day being a day of sport and activities... hell you can go shopping the rest of the year if you want to! Sadly shops have caught on to that fact that people will shop anytime for anything... if they feel they are getting a bargain.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2016, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by devon56 ->
Obviously millions disagree.......just look at the sales figures.

I suppose some are glad to get out of the house for a few hours, away from the stress if family gatherings.

I see nothing wrong with shops opening......as an aside........I'd forgotten to get fuel yesterday. .....thenk God a local garage is open today.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top