Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Boxing Day Hunts.

Hi

A great British tradition, the Boxing Day fox hunt.

I love the spectacle, the horses, the dogs.

We have moved on, at least in part, still have the spectacle, but a drag hunt, no need to kill a fox.

Yesterday morning, early hours, I saw three foxes in my headlights, lovely to look at, part of nature, leave them alone.

Yesterday evening, a fox took one of the littlies ducks and killed three others.

It will be shot, it was attracted by an incomer who has no idea of all of Rural Life and was putting out food for the foxes.

I have no issue with shooting them when they are a problem. I cannot understand why anyone would want to kill them for fun.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 10:10 AM

Re: Boxing Day Hunts.

When we kept hens we often used to find them dead through a fox attack. What was so sickening was that the fox didn't eat them - just killed and left them there.

I know people who put food out for foxes - they're misguided in my opinion but I keep my mouth shut.

However - they have a place on this earth like any other creature and killing them for fun is barbaric.

I agree with your every word swimfeeders.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 10:12 AM

clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 10:37 AM

I agree with Nom, hunting should not be allowed. Even on drag hunts peoples pets have been mauled and killed by the dogs. If foxes, or any other wild animal has to be killed, then it should be shot, not hunted and torn to pieces by dogs and then gloated over by a bunch of yahoo Henries and Henriettas who, in my opinion, should be put in the same position and be hunted so that they can feel the terror their victims must feel.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 10:48 AM

I agree with Swims too. I only 'dealt' with the foxes who tried to kill my birds.

My friend who runs the fox rescue place, says it is our own fault if birds are taken, because we should lock 'em in at night, they are opportunists, but I sometimes had a fox come stalking about during the day as well, and of course, the birds were out and about then.

The 'Drag Hunting' is a load of bo****ks, because it is totally ignored and the huntsmen kill foxes all the time. My friend even has video of them throwing cubs to the hounds.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 10:54 AM

I'm always running into the hunt so I'm not going out this week except to a funeral on Wednesday.
They block the road and have no consideration, letting their dogs loose all over the road.
My neighbour's son keeps poultry, he has sufficient protection to keep out foxes, with fences sunk into the ground, barbed wire and an electric fence.
However, he's had some killed by rats!
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 03:14 PM

I too was out to see a Hunt set off. A great spectacle.

Regarding hunting with dogs (as opposed to the actual Hunt) a friend of mine is a sheep farmer and says that, in terms of pest control, it's more humane to hunt with dogs (Lurchers) instead of a gun. A shotgun can leave a fox wounded and suffering. A Lurcher does a clean kill by biting through the neck.

I'm not arguing in favour of hunting but am amused/irritated by cat owners who take the moral high ground. The average family cat kills around 15 creatures per year - and not usually in a humane fashion.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by devon56 ->
I too was out to see a Hunt set off. A great spectacle.

Regarding hunting with dogs (as opposed to the actual Hunt) a friend of mine is a sheep farmer and says that, in terms of pest control, it's more humane to hunt with dogs (Lurchers) instead of a gun. A shotgun can leave a fox wounded and suffering. A Lurcher does a clean kill by biting through the neck.

I'm not arguing in favour of hunting but am amused/irritated by cat owners who take the moral high ground. The average family cat kills around 15 creatures per year - and not usually in a humane fashion.

Two points here Devon -

1. You're not related to our Pummy by any chance are you?

2. A good lurcher may well do as you say, but this is nothing to do with Hunts. It is nothing like ONE single dog versus One single fox, is it. It is more like 50 or maybe 60 onto one fox. Utterly despicable.
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Two points here Devon -

1. You're not related to our Pummy by any chance are you?

2. A good lurcher may well do as you say, but this is nothing to do with Hunts. It is nothing like ONE single dog versus One single fox, is it. It is more like 50 or maybe 60 onto one fox. Utterly despicable.
No relation to Pummy and, sorry, should have made it clear that the Lurcher thing was not to do with the hunt. My friend was remarking on the problems arising from the blanket ban on hunting with dogs.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2016, 03:30 PM

I am, and always was, opposed to fox hunting and I`m not a `townie` I grew up in rural Bedfordshire.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top