Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 04:53 PM

Re: Should we abolish Charities?

Well that is not a charity.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 04:54 PM

Hi

My concern is that some of the big charities, and some others as well, seem to have an awful lot of expenses, highly paid staff and not a lot going to the actual thing they are supposed to be providing for.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 07:16 PM

I recently wrote this a part of a blog and this is how I feel. Give to something you know about and can trust, dont get conned by big names, fancy appeals or celeb endorsments.
-------------------------------------------------
My husband and I give to charity, we chose the causes we support and give to them regularly. I have a notice on my door that says no sales persons or charity collectors but still they ring my bell.

They ask if I can spare a minute, I point out the sign... ‘But madam don’t you care about X Y or Z’? I say no thank you and they pretend to be horrified at my response...It’s the same each time, the scene unfolds like a well-rehearsed play, they launch into a standard pre-learned script about whatever charity has employed them to come begging at the doors and then they ask me why I won’t give….

Big mistake… At that point I draw breath and say ‘young man/woman (its normally youngsters they send) I have been on this planet about twice as long as you and since I was knee high to nothing I have been knitting blankets, filling shoeboxes, collecting bottle tops, silver foil and lord knows what else to try to help X Y or Z and what has changed?? Nothing, you are still here collecting for the same cause as 50 years ago. History has taught us that much of the donations get misappropriated by corrupt governments, get used to buy arms or simply get swallowed up in administration so no I won’t give to these causes any more’… Most of them walk away looking slightly stunned.

As I say it’s not that we don’t give to charity we do, but who I donate to is my choice and my decision, I give to causes close to my heart and to those I trust. Not just big names with big appeals.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'll ask her later and come back to you.
She doesn't do fund raising or take money from the public, she pays for things out of her own pocket simply because she loves them and will never turn an injured one away.

Swimmy, my mistake.

She says she is not a charity at all. She is a Sanctuary. I knew she pays all the vets fees and such herself, she just adores foxes.

Can I get up off me knees now please?

P.S. There is another bigger fox rescue place in the next town, and he calls himself a "Society," which may be a loophole?- dunno.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

The setting up of `charitable foundations` purely set up for tax evasion should definitely be abolished. Money to these foundations is drawn in with only a tiny amount being given to the charity they pertain to represent, the rest being used as income for the foundation's founders and employees.
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The problem is we rely on some of them these days, an instance being private schools, many of them allow local schools to use their fields and equipment. If we take away charitable status I fear they may stop that. Many local schools need the private schools to help them.

It's not a good system but it's what we have to work with.
My point was the setting up of charitable foundations by some merely for their own benefit drawing large sums of money out as `expenses`. A few pop/rock groups have done this has have politicians who shall remain nameless.
devon56
London
devon56 is male  devon56 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 10:55 PM

I would not do away with charities but would abolish the Gift Aid tax relief on charity donations.

This means that charities are being effectively subsidised by the public purse (i.e. your and my taxes). I don't pay tax for it to support charities which I don't even approve of.

Also such abolition would mean tax money better spent and make it harder for charitable trusts to dodge tax.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My concern is that some of the big charities, and some others as well, seem to have an awful lot of expenses, highly paid staff and not a lot going to the actual thing they are supposed to be providing for.

I remember going for an interview at NSPCC for a marketing position in the 90s. I was pretty surprised to find it was in a shiny, corporate office block and the job was all about engaging with "donors" to chug money out of them (presumably to finance more shiny office space and jobs for fellow chuggers). Needless to say I didn't end up working for them but it was an eye opener. I am sure they do super work but a lot goes into fundraising.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2017, 11:25 PM

I would do away with the Collective.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 12:50 AM

What I DON'T like, is the way charities are ask for set amounts now.
Not only that, they also want regular donations too. Bloomin' cheek.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 01:04 AM

Cass, there is much merit in your post and it is admirable that you contribute as you do.

However
(predictably) , I have a couple of small niggles ..........

"and what has changed?? Nothing, you are still here collecting for the same cause as 50 years ago."
Animal cruelty will never magically stop. Homelessness will always exist. Families will be robbed. Houses burn down. Natural disasters occur.
No charity can stop such things permanently - however well-managed they are.

" (a) History has taught us that much of the donations get misappropriated by corrupt governments, get used to buy arms or
(b) simply get swallowed up in administration so no I won’t give to these causes any mor
e"

(a) this seems to refer mainly to 'foreign aid' - government stuff - they are not likely to come knocking at your door.
(b) again, this is a government problem. For a charity to be approved to solicit funds from the public, governments should legislate that audited annual returns are mandatory and "expenses" only reasonable.
If the British government does not do that, well yes, expect charlatans to pop up.

To berate the poor bugger at the door without knowing their cause is bogus just seems a tad ..... unfortunate.
For all one knows, that collector may well be a hard-working volunteer who has sacrificed much for a cause.
Pre-rehearsed tirades from those who tar all with the same brush would be pretty depressing for a genuine worker.
I wouldn't blame them for giving up - and the world would be worse off.

Phew ...... !

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top