Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:11 PM

Re: On growing old

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Isolation will make you very depressed and therefore fatigued

You mention your deafness is a barrier, do you not have organisations for the deaf in your area? I would hunt them down and get in touch and see what they can offer

Plus a smaller dog tends to attract more people who want to come say hello, something they may be wary about with a male and a larger dog

Just an idea
Yes, we have various organizations for the deaf. They gave me a cell phone that converts voice into text. Unfortunately it took me so long to learn how to use it properly that they shut off my free service.

I would be most interested in a mid-size dog. IMO, little dogs are nervous and hyper and I can't stand that.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:30 PM

I would get back in touch with whatever deaf organisations you have and see what sort of social activities they offer and get yourself involved in some

Not all small dogs are nervous and happy, thats usually down to the owners forgetting they are dogs and treating them like babies, Here in the country, dogs are dogs and they know it, You don't see toy dogs dressed in clothes and carried in handbags
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 01:53 PM

I used to take my neighbours dog out every weekend, it was a Springer Spaniel, they rescued her from a nasty Indian woman who used to beat her. The only thing is in earlier life she was trained as a Sniffer dog, and I would to the park with her, but it took us half hour just to walk down one street, because she would stop and sniff out every Rock, Brick or Stone.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 02:00 PM

I love Springer Spaniels - possibly my favourite breed. They are very loyal, protective yet friendly at the same time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
I would get back in touch with whatever deaf organisations you have and see what sort of social activities they offer and get yourself involved in some

Not all small dogs are nervous and happy, thats usually down to the owners forgetting they are dogs and treating them like babies, Here in the country, dogs are dogs and they know it, You don't see toy dogs dressed in clothes and carried in handbags

Good advice Missy, I agree with you.

Bakerman, regarding a medium size dog you said you preferred, might you be thinking of a puppy, or an adult?

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, so please forgive me if I do, but at 81 and your health problem, maybe the suggestions made about walking a neighbour's dog would be better for a while, just to see how you manage first, do you think?
Better than taking a boisterous dog on and finding it more difficult and/or troublesome than you thought, or if you had further health difficulties and had to re-home it.

Over here, the rescue centres are crying out for dog walkers, even if only for a couple of hours a week.
Do you have anything like that where you are?

You would be helping out and doing a good turn, it would get you out and about, you'd have company, and meet people too.
If you are not well enough to walk much, could you offer your services in another way perhaps?

But I think the best place to start is do as Missy suggested and get back the deaf organisation and see what activities they offer. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Good luck - and don't give up.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 02:40 PM

Sorry to read You feel this way Bakerman and joining Your local deaf-club is a good idea....but if You have just become deaf with age,then it would be a good idea to learn sign/hand language..it's not easy I know and takes a lot of practice (My Youngest Daughter was born profoundly deaf)..good luck and keep Your chin up..,at 75 yrs of age,I still look forward to each day that comes though I generally spend most days on My Own too.

PS...Bakerman is just a young 72.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 05:19 PM

Whatever dog I may ultimately select, it will almost certainly be a youngish adult and not a puppy. Also. it would not be fair to the dog if I chose a "high activity" dog because I could not give it the amount of exercise it needs.

Recently someone offered me a mid-size dog , but I think he was badly mistreated at some point because he started to shake badly and he peed all over himself when I tried to pet him. I would have liked to help the dog but I was afraid my rehab skills are not up to par.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Whatever dog I may ultimately select, it will almost certainly be a youngish adult and not a puppy. Also. it would not be fair to the dog if I chose a "high activity" dog because I could not give it the amount of exercise it needs.

Recently someone offered me a mid-size dog , but I think he was badly mistreated at some point because he started to shake badly and he peed all over himself when I tried to pet him. I would have liked to help the dog but I was afraid my rehab skills are not up to par.
Well, you have seen a picture of mine.
Here is another.

He is very sociable as you can see. Yes, we walk a lot. Him more that me.
He is a mid sized dog apparently at 37kg. And very loyal. He lifts my mood. He is a rescue, a shy timid fellow when we got him. It needs commitment and patience, but the rewards are ten times what you put in.

A year old when we got him. Three years on, and he has matured magnificently. My point is that it gives you a purpose and a reward that you couldn't buy.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 09:26 PM

If you really want a dog go to a dogs home,you can see a variety of dogs and the staff will help you decide one that is best for you
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Sorry to read You feel this way Bakerman and joining Your local deaf-club is a good idea....but if You have just become deaf with age,then it would be a good idea to learn sign/hand language..it's not easy I know and takes a lot of practice (My Youngest Daughter was born profoundly deaf)..good luck and keep Your chin up..,at 75 yrs of age,I still look forward to each day that comes though I generally spend most days on My Own too.

PS...Bakerman is just a young 72.

Thanks Ruthio.
I do beg your pardon Bakerman, I mistakenly thought your were 81 for some reason. Sorry.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top