Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 08:42 PM

Re: As we age, is it fair to have pets?

Originally Posted by Mags ->
However for those people who feel the need to have a pet in their lives when they are older, I would suggest adopting an oldie from a Rescue. They are usually the ones that are overlooked by folks, not the poor animals fault, they have probably lost their previous owner through death and would welcome the love and attention of a new owner.
Seems the way to go if you ask me. Why not give one, or them, a chance of a nice home?
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 09:14 PM

My cat is 17 now and I have already decided that she would be my last pet.

However for those people who feel the need to have a pet in their lives when they are older, I would suggest adopting an oldie from a Rescue. They are usually the ones that are overlooked by folks, not the poor animals fault, they have probably lost their previous owner through death and would welcome the love and attention of a new owner.
That's what I was thinking too
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 09:30 PM

We've already decided that after our three current dogs are gone, we will just have the one dog, and it will be a rescue.
Ditto to the cat. The area we live in doesn't usually have a lot of choices, but we will state our preference for older animals.
Our parrot (a rescue) has a long life span, and we've made arrangements for him to go to a parrot sanctuary.
This has made me all teary. Off now to hug my critters.
GrumpyOldMan
USA
GrumpyOldMan is male  GrumpyOldMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 09:42 PM

I'm 57 and we didn't have the big yard or room for a dog until now. I plan to get a puppy shortly and will give him a wonderful home with lots of love. I don't think age is really relevant,
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
We've already decided that after our three current dogs are gone, we will just have the one dog, and it will be a rescue.
Ditto to the cat. The area we live in doesn't usually have a lot of choices, but we will state our preference for older animals.
Our parrot (a rescue) has a long life span, and we've made arrangements for him to go to a parrot sanctuary.
This has made me all teary. Off now to hug my critters.
Awww now look what you've done....you've made her cry
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 09:56 PM

My cat is 17 now and I have already decided that she would be my last pet.

What a wonderful and loving idea!!
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 10:41 PM

When my last cat was PTS .I was not going to have another . but a black and white stray came in through the cat flap on a very cold February, and stayed. He was with me for quite a few years A couple of weeks before I had to have him PTS, my next door neighbour moved house, and left there cat and he moved in with me .. The new neighbour has a cat which is always in my house it seems I am destined to look after cats..
I also in my will have made arrangements for whatever cat is with me when I pass on is looked after
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 10:59 PM

For anyone interested, there is "The Oldies Dog rescue" who do just as the name suggests. They frequently have many lovely old souls there.

e.mail: oldies@oldies.org.uk
Tel : 0844 586 8656

I think it's very difficult to decide when to give up on dog ownership. For many people, it's the only thing that keeps them going.
I have been giving this subject a lot of thought myself lately, and one thing that occurred to me was that just because we may be 60 or more, it doesn't necessarily mean a new dog would live till it was 18 does it.
I know if I lived another 20 years, and did not have a dog's companionship, it would be an awful lonely existence with little reason to get up in the mornings. I'm sure I would just give up.
Having voiced those perhaps selfish thoughts, I do think that probably one day I will open my heart to an oldie in need, as I do feel for them. If we lose someone we love, we don't often have to lose our home as well, but these dear old dogs do, so they have a double whammy to cope with in their old age.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2014, 11:25 PM

This was my worry when Pashka, the last of my Clan of Old English Sheepdogs passed away. I was determind to not have any more. I lasted 5 months before I caved to pressure from family and friends. It was actually my Doctor who convinced me as I'd mentioned my knees were stiff as anything some times. She said ....You've stopped walking and I had to agree as I hated walking alone after the dogs were no longer here. I looked for another Old English but the OES Rescue had none. I'd always liked Newfies and thought about getting one, but then my other half found 10 week old Dageus and we got him......
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 10:48 AM

I have made the decision that when Samantha passes away I will not have any more pets. We had two beautiful cats our gorgeous Abigail died last year aged 16 and Samantha is now 17.

I feel they cannot be replaced, and it is getting harder to get someone to look after Samantha if we want to go away for a few days as we have no family close by.

I will miss the joy they bring and the antics they get up to but that is a decision I will make.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top