Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Re: As we age, is it fair to have pets?

For my 74th birthday last year I bought myself a 9 week old puppy. I was very specific about what I wanted ... it had to be a Shar-Pei and a girl. They're a wonderful breed for an older person, not too large, very easy to train and even as puppies not too energetic. My girl is a real couch potato and as long as she gets one good walk a day is happy to spend the rest of her time lazing around in the house or garden.

Because I'd had a hip replacement a few months before I had her, for the first time since I've owned dogs I decided to have her professionally trained. I'm so pleased I did because by going to training classes both she and I have made new friends, and because she's now so well behaved I can confidently take her more or less anywhere with me.

Shar-Pei don't have a very long life span ... around 9/10 years, but if anything happens to me my son will have her.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
For my 74th birthday last year I bought myself a 9 week old puppy. I was very specific about what I wanted ... it had to be a Shar-Pei and a girl. They're a wonderful breed for an older person, not too large, very easy to train and even as puppies not too energetic. My girl is a real couch potato and as long as she gets one good walk a day is happy to spend the rest of her time lazing around in the house or garden.

Because I'd had a hip replacement a few months before I had her, for the first time since I've owned dogs I decided to have her professionally trained. I'm so pleased I did because by going to training classes both she and I have made new friends, and because she's now so well behaved I can confidently take her more or less anywhere with me.

Shar-Pei don't have a very long life span ... around 9/10 years, but if anything happens to me my son will have her.
That's lovely I think having plans in place if the worst happens is the best way to do it, and making them as easy to rehome is best way to do that. I can't imagine not having a dog and we prefer starting from puppies these days too.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 12:34 PM

I think getting Baby Murphy (my 1 year old Shorkie) was a mistake. Both DH and I had forgotten what having a puppy around was like, as we had always adopted older dogs. However, if it was a mistake... it was a blessing too! He certainly keeps us on our toes, and is an absolutely constant source of entertainment for sure. Plus.. he is adorable.

This thread has gotten me planning what I will do. I will not replace my animals as they pass. AND I will amend my will to include funds to go to whoever takes any remaining animal in my home, specifically for the care of that animal for the rest of it's life. If I at one point find myself animaless (is that a word?) I will be sure to take in a senior pet who has lost it's home. Living my last years without a pet would be out of the question.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 01:03 PM

I think there always comes a point when we think it's a mistake I know none of mine have been such angels I haven't thought that around the 6months to one year point. Get past 2 and they become so much calmer and suddenly they were the right choice after all. Waiting for that point at the moment with my two we certainly never planned 2 puppies so close together !!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 07:07 PM

Oh.. I forgot to tell y'all and Lovemyboys post about her parrot reminded me. I just found out that my Parrot Larry was adopted from the shelter!! I feel so much better. I know they found him a great home as they do home visits and the potential adoptors must provide a Vet reference, which is checked. I'm so happy that Larry has a home that can care for him and give him the attention he needs.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

18-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Oh.. I forgot to tell y'all and Lovemyboys post about her parrot reminded me. I just found out that my Parrot Larry was adopted from the shelter!! I feel so much better. I know they found him a great home as they do home visits and the potential adoptors must provide a Vet reference, which is checked. I'm so happy that Larry has a home that can care for him and give him the attention he needs.
Oh that's fantastic news so pleased for Larry and yourself !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I think if you are providing a loving home it cant be wrong to have a pet, but perhaps as suggested an older pet possibly from a shelter.
I agree Nom I think very often older people are more suited to having a pet because they are home all the time and can give it their full attention.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2014, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->

That's lovely Barbara enjoy your dog..
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 02:58 PM

We are in our late 70's and have decided that we will have no more dogs, although we do have a 5yr old cat.
Our last dog was adopted from a rescue centre a year last November. She was 13 and shortly after coming to us we discovered that she had liver cancer. She had a wonderful year, swimming in the lakes and running through woods, but sadly the disease caught up with her.
Although we only had her for a year, we were so upset at losing her and don't feel that we can go through that repeatedly as we can only adopt an old dog. I do however feel that something huge has gone from my life and feel quite sad about having to make the decision.
I do think that it is a personal choice having a dog in later life, providing provisions can be put in place in the event of the owners death or disability
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

19-06-2014, 03:46 PM

I am sure having a dog keeps me fit and may even extend my life.

If I didn't have a dog I don't think I would be out walking every morning at 7.30 and last thing at night whatever the weather, the incentive would not be there the same.
Because of the exercise I am fitter in body and mind and the company provided by my dog means I am never lonely or depressed .

I have had Schnauzers for 50 years and I would like to hope Chloe will not be my last .

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top