Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 01:01 PM

Re: Dogs and skanky water..

Originally Posted by Margoletta ->
Ew ew ew.... I've heard they do that, he doesn't thank god, but he snitches their crunchies if I'm not careful. They make him fart. As he sleeps on my bed at night its no joke, I can tell you! I wouldn't mind so much but he turns his head and looks at me as if I'VE done it!

***thinks*** should have called this thread Disgusting Things your dog gets up to....

My dogs fart... but I tell ya... not nearly so potently as my one cat Belle. She can be sound asleep on my lap and suddenly my eyes begin to water and I'm gasping for air. Nothing as strong as a cat fart.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 01:02 PM

When we got Elsie she we suddenly learned about dogs that eat their own poo ! Apparently as our vet reassured us they grow out of it but it's quite normal for puppies to do. She has almost stopped now thank goodness but her puppy breath was a killer !!
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 01:06 PM

Yes Baby Murphy is still doing that.. Sometimes Monroe, my Shih Tzu will join him in eating the Murphy poo. not sure why he does. Guess the cat boxes are too hard for him to get to.
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

19-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Holy mother of crap..
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 02:43 PM

Our dog has lovely fresh water in her bowl twice a day but seems to prefer the water in the bird bath.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 02:49 PM

My friendīs little dog frequently raids the cat litter tray of another friend if he isnīt being watched. Fortunately my two little dogs have never shown any interest in such things, the Shitzu in particular is so fussy, no matter what she is given she sniffs it for a short time before deciding whether itīs good enough for her.

Another friend in UK has a greyhound and a few months ago, during the floodings in UK, Minnie, the greyhound became really ill, touch and go as to whether she would survive. Lots and lots of tests, nothing 100% conclusive but it was thought that she had picked up some parasite/infection or something from drinking flood water. Minnie has recovered but whatever it was affected her kidneys and other organs and now she has to be on medication for the rest of her life. The cost of all this treatment, test etc over the weeks amounted to over 4000 pounds. Fortunately Minnie was insured and much of this has been covered, including the medication for a year, but after that they are on their own, the insurance company wonīt cover her again for such an event. So do try at least to discourage your pets from drinking "unknown" water.
AudreyII
USA

19-06-2014, 03:00 PM

My friendīs little dog frequently raids the cat litter tray of another friend if he isnīt being watched. Fortunately my two little dogs have never shown any interest in such things, the Shitzu in particular is so fussy, no matter what she is given she sniffs it for a short time before deciding whether itīs good enough for her.
Funny story.. When we first found Monroe the Shih Tzu, we already had two other dogs, Pete and Izzy. Both Pete and Izzy were regular visitors to the cat box. Monroe watched them.. Finally he decided to try what the others were relishing.. he came out of the room coughing and gagging.. NOW? He bellies up to the cat box with the best of 'em. Guess it's an acquired taste.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 04:32 PM

Chloe hates water having rushed into the sea as a puppy and then refused to move .

My son's springer goes into every dirty puddle he can find.

In the UK we are warned about letting our dog go into certain water during particular weather conditions because of algae poisoning..

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...09brgn-e-e.pdf

USA

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poi...e-green-algae/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
My dogs will try to drink out of puddles, but I stop them. They have all their shots so I don't suppose it would hurt, but it grosses me out. What my dogs do so very much enjoy is rolling in bird poo. It's the ultimate dog perfume I guess.. They just roll and roll all over it until they get the fragrance just right I guess. bleh

Same here Audrey, I stop mine too. Leptospirosis would worry me and also Giardia, which can be a job to get rid of.
Also, on farmland, I would be aware of pesticides too.
I prefer to take water with me if I am going far. Maybe I worry too much, but better to be safe than sorry.
Meg is right about the algae too.
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Margoletta ->
Just been out for a walk with Troje, my mongrel cur.

It is it his less than n aristocratic breeding, or just generally being a dog, that makes him want to jump into the filthiest, skankiest looking pond around, but give him a bath... He acts like the most abused canine on the planet.

And he likes to drink out of nasty looking puddles as well....

Anyone else's dog do this?
Our dog loves his bath. I thought he was the only dog that drank dirty water. He will drink from a dirty puddle in the back yard before he'll drink from his clean water dish.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top