Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:33 PM

Re: Dogs and skanky water..

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Same here Audrey, I stop mine too. Leptospirosis would worry me and also Giardia, which can be a job to get rid of.
Also, on farmland, I would be aware of pesticides too.
I prefer to take water with me if I am going far. Maybe I worry too much, but better to be safe than sorry.
Meg is right about the algae too.
...and in the winter antifreeze in puddles can be a killer. It has a sweet smell and taste so is attractive to dogs.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Margoletta ->
Not so much Chanel No5 as ChienNo2's..... Sorry, a bit gross that.

But my lad likes to roll in a dead decaying bird or animal, if he can find one. Or sheep\horse\cow dung...
My dog loves that too. When I first got him there was a dead sheep on the beach below my house and he REEKED frequently. Not a nice smell first thing in the morning - I used to get up to let him out and he'd come back when I was having my coffee and want to leap up onto my lap...
And yes, he drinks out of puddles quite happily and even has a few laps of seawater sometimes...
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:45 PM

The dog we had before our present one was a purebred male Jack Russell. He was loose once when we let him in a park. He disappeared behind some shrub.

When he reappeared, he was covered in sh**! We had to walk him home quite a long way on a city sidewalk. Everytime we saw a person walking towards us, we'd risk life & limb running across the busy road so we could avoid dirty looks (although they'd have nothing on our dog's dirty looks, ha!)

Poco was pleased as punch tho.

Guess who had to bathe him & then thoroughly clean the tub? YUK!!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When we got Elsie she we suddenly learned about dogs that eat their own poo ! Apparently as our vet reassured us they grow out of it but it's quite normal for puppies to do. She has almost stopped now thank goodness but her puppy breath was a killer !!

Horrible habit that aint it Julie, Coprophy they call it. 2 of my GSD's did it as puppies and many friend's have had the same problem. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't agree with your vet saying they grow out of it, though I do hope you are one of the lucky ones. In my experience they will do it all their lives once they start, they just get more crafty about not being caught!

P.S. I have a dear friend who lives in a very remote area of Scotland, where tourists get "took short" on lonely treks off the beaten track. Without going into too much gory detail, her grotty dog always finds that too. She muzzled him for ages until she thought he had stopped, but when he got his freedom back, he went straight back to doing it again. How revolting is that . . .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Horrible habit that aint it Julie, Coprophy they call it. 2 of my GSD's did it as puppies and many friend's have had the same problem. Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't agree with your vet saying they grow out of it, though I do hope you are one of the lucky ones. In my experience they will do it all their lives once they start, they just get more crafty about not being caught!
She is getting better or perhaps I am getting quicker and louder yelling LEAVE IT ! Vet said don't make a fuss but my first reaction each time is LEAVE IT !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
She is getting better or perhaps I am getting quicker and louder yelling LEAVE IT ! Vet said don't make a fuss but my first reaction each time is LEAVE IT !

Fingers crossed you will win then Julie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-06-2014, 11:23 PM

Horrible habit that aint it Julie, Coprophy they call it.

Beg your pardon, just realised how I spelt that and it should have been 'Coprophagia' .
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 11:46 PM

I got lots of smiles reading all these posts! They describe my boys to a T!
Fresh well water in a bowl? Don't be silly mum - look at that lovely puddle of water over there!!
They also like cat crunchies.
They love to roll in things no creature should roll in.
One loves to eat the fresh dirt in the planters (been checked at vet - had his stools checked and he was not malnourished, has no deficiencies or disease - just likes the fresh dirt. Found putting straw on top stops him.)
We had a dog in the past that did love to eat poop, and found the best way to stop him was to dispose of any straight away. It was a lifelong habit for him.
It's the little things we love, yes?!
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

21-06-2014, 09:06 AM

They are so funny, the things they do, you have to laugh sometimes even when you are completely cross with them at the same time.

Why do they like rolling in stink, does anyone know? I always wondered if it is to do with smelling like what they want to hunt ...if they were still wolves, kind of thing. ***looks at Trojie lying asleep on settee*** ..as if he had any chance of catching a sheep\bird \ whatever...
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 09:13 AM

I think it's what you said - they want to mask their scent, just as wolves do.

One of mine thinks he can catch butterfly shadows! So it would be extra amusing watching him with something real!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top