Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Dogs and fresh fish

One of my usual walks with Bennie is in an area where there are often fishermen, and, if there are, Bennie makes a beeline for them. It's just about the only time that he will not come when called. He has once or twice pinched a fish and today there were a couple of fisherman who let him have one, with my permission.
He wolfs it down from tail to head, leaving nothing behind, and I sometimes wonder if he is at risk of any harm from it. He has never to date had any problems, but should I be trying to stop him?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:03 PM

Re: Dogs and fresh fish

I wouldn't allow it myself all the problems with algae etc these days mean fish needs a good wash also fish hooks can be left in and one of them stuck inside a dog could be fatal. My BIL is a fisherman and he find hooks in fish he has caught that have been in the fish a while so even if the fishermen are honest they may not know what has happened to the fish previously.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:06 PM

Cat's eat goldfish - not that that's much help!

I wouldn't have thought the odd one would harm him as long as the fish was healthy - and the fishermen took the hook out.

Not much help today am I. . .
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:10 PM

I agree with everything Julie 1962 has said. Also couldn't the fish bones be a choking danger?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:16 PM

Just had a quick look, and it seems it suits some dogs but upsets others, bit like raw chicken wings. So still don't know really . . .
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 08:38 AM

I know one person that feeds the whole fish carcass raw (depending on size) to his two dogs about once a week. He swears by the whole raw diet. From what I know, there's been no problems.
I however have a big fear of bones sticking where they shouldn't stick.
So I cook any fish my boys get.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 10:05 AM

Donīt some fish carry worms and parasites? I donīt think I would want to risk letting a dog eat raw fish.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Fish is an excellent food for dogs and many are fed whole fresh fish as part of the 'raw prey model' diet.

Some people freeze it first to kill any parasites.

Raw fish (preferably whole, small, oily fish) can be fed for one or two meals per week. You may also opt to feed fish body oil such as Salmon oil. This supplementation is recommended if the meat you feed is not grass-fed because grain-fed animals lack Omega-3 fatty acids which protect the dog’s joints and immune system. It is preferable to feed smaller whole fish, than portions of a larger fish since the mercury and toxin levels in fish are a concern.
http://rawfeddogs.org/rawguide.html
Many vets are against the raw diet, mine isn't and feeds it to her terriers. I feed a mixed diet with some raw including fish but not whole fish (other than tinned sardines).

There is a choking hazard with any food, I have heard of dogs choking on kibble.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 03:43 PM

There is a choking hazard with any food, I have heard of dogs choking on kibble

Very true it's the germs and possible fish hooks or as someone else said parasites that would worry me.

But we all make decisions for our own dogs if some dogs manage them then not for me to say it's wrong, just not something I would feel comfortable doing, although I doubt my 5lb Chihuahua could manage one and Elsie well I haven't tried her on anything but her puppy foods yet.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top