Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Re: Stay Away From Pet Treats Made in China

Our vet is not happy about feeding dogs on chicken, there is a lot of protein, at least I think itīs protein, in chicken and it can affect the kidneys and other organs. The most chicken mine ever get is a fairly small shredded amount mixed with their biscuits perhaps once a week or ever two weeks.
Margoletta
France
Margoletta is female 

20-06-2014, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the warning AC, I have to say where the treat comes from isn't something I have ever looked at, although I don't give my guy hide chews. I will look at where his tooth cleaning chew things come from next time, before I buy.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Our vet is not happy about feeding dogs on chicken, there is a lot of protein, at least I think itīs protein, in chicken and it can affect the kidneys and other organs. The most chicken mine ever get is a fairly small shredded amount mixed with their biscuits perhaps once a week or ever two weeks.
Doesn't seem like there would be more protein in chicken than other meats... and nothing else bothers them.. Gound beef, pork, lamb... nothing but chicken. And I have had vets tell me to feed boiled chicken and rice for diarrhea.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 10:57 PM

Chicken and rice is what our vet suggests if a dog has a runny tummy but it's possible to be intolerant of it I guess, our late Duncan was intolerant of lamb and beef, all my dogs, everyone of them have had runny tummies after turkey though so I believe there must be something in that not so good for them.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 11:30 PM

It's not just China - many dog foods have been recalled over the last few years in North America. Even some of the best brands. You really have to keep your ears open for what's going on.
As per our vet, when my boys have upset bellies, they get chicken and sweet potatoes now instead of rice. I've only tried it the once with one of them, but it seems to work as good as the rice.
I make all their treats. I dehydrate sweet potatoes and other veggies also - makes for a wonderful treat which they gobble up!
Like people, every dog is different, and can have an intolerance to lots of different foods. So far I've been lucky with mine - touch wood!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Does anyone else dogs get diarhhea from chicken? I always thought that plain boiled chicken was great for dogs, but mine get very loose stool from it every time I have given it to them. I don't add anything, and remove the skin. It's a puzzle..

That's odd Audrey. Vets usually recommend cooked chicken or fish when they've had an upset tummy don't they. Also my oldest gal is not supposed to have red meat anymore because her kidneys are not so good nowadays, so she has chicken quite a lot.
It's only a thought, but have you considered where your chicken is sourced from? (Not China I hope)! Or whether its human grade chicken or pet food chicken?
I agree with what everyone's saying about treats from China, wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole. Some of the rawhide chews go through a bleach solution too. There's loads of fish treats in the shops from China too. Also I never buy those ready cooked bones from pet shops either. Cooked bones are brittle and are much more likely to splinter than raw ones, so they are banned too.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Two types of treats I buy my dog just happened to be made in Ireland! Who would've thought? One is Ol' Roy, WalMart brand of a particular dog treat. The other one she likes is bought at the Dollar Store so I was concerned because Dollar Stores are notorious for Made in China items. I was quite shocked to see this product was also made in Ireland

Is Ireland safe?
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The only treats I give are whole carrots,home made dried liver
My dog loved carrots..he would take them from the vegetable rack..put them between his paws and chew them like a bone,..liver, however, in any form.. used to go through him like a freight train!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Ours love carrot, and I make liver and garlic cake for them, they also like salmon skins dried in the oven until they are crispy. Whiting too baked until crisp but not too often as they seem to prefer them to their food and can't risk putting Betty off for any reason.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2014, 01:37 PM

I love your love for your dogs..I was the same..fresh salmon..my dog was a chow chow and just wouldn't eat any old thing..

For a treat I would give him a couple of yeast tablets..he loved them..

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top