Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 07:20 AM

The Taiwanese System

Hi

Taiwan has a National Health Service.

Insurance based, you can choose either Government or Private insurance.

It is a residents only system and you cannot lose your insurance if you are unemployed or on long term sick.

There is no upper limit to the costs of treatment.

You have to carry your health card, which is a smart card.

The doctor or dentist then pops it in a reader and your eligibility is confirmed and up pops your entire medical history

No lost notes, no registering with any GP or Dentist, go to whichever one you want.

Your notes and medications are updated on the spot.

This saves a fortune in admin costs and prevents use of the system by anyone not registered.

Non residents get a card, but it is a payment card, you have to pay on the spot, unless you have got private insurance.

An extremely efficient system, we could learn from it.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 08:02 AM

Re: The Taiwanese System

That sounds a very good system to me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Sounds good and less prone to misuse than our system.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 10:22 AM

Won't ever happen here the NHS is too scared of change. Having said that they do need to change the mix up with my medication while I was in could have killed. They should at least keep your prescription on hand when they dole out the tablets. An electronic system might be much safer.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 10:46 AM

If they the NHS had done an MRI scan when they said and not wait 9 months until I was in extreme pain they could have saved a fair bit of cash. No, instead it was 2 call outs with an ambulance and a lot of their time wasted. They just don't think of money wasted as it is not theirs.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 07:26 PM

Does the card really have your health information or coding that allows that access on a cloud or other storage? The idea of having all that information on a card and what would happen with a lost or stolen card is concerning.

Concerns aside, I really, really like the idea of having the option of private or government care.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Does the card really have your health information or coding that allows that access on a cloud or other storage? The idea of having all that information on a card and what would happen with a lost or stolen card is concerning.

Concerns aside, I really, really like the idea of having the option of private or government care.
Hi

Different cultures have different views about the privacy of personal health information.

I have no issues with it, a card with all my information is fine by me, if anything happened it speeds things up.

The choice of Insurance schemes is yours, the treatment however is exactly the same, it is a fixed cost system, each provider gets paid exactly the same.

You can extra for a private room etc, but treatment costs are fixed.

The system here in the UK is much less efficient, Guy is having to wait for his notes from Bristol where he was last registered.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 08:56 AM

Sounds good Swimmy, put my name down.....
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 10:31 AM

It sounds a great system to me but can you imagine our NHS trying to install and administer it? Remember the last national computer system they tried to install? I think it was abandoned in the end after millions of investment.

I hope your son isn't feeling the cold too much swimmy and that your heating is now working.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Similar Idea here , but now our I D card has been scrapped, you just have a personal number which is on say your driving licence or you just quote it to any health dept or Doctor, any business. The health dept, or Hospital can then bring all your details of visits to any Hospital, no waiting for scan results, they are there within a week, all other information is there immediately, but only the heath dept can see details appertaining to them, also business can only see dealings you have had with them. Doctors prescriptions are all now electronic and can be accessed from any pharmacy and repeat items are for twelve months, and the pharmacy can tell you how much you have left so you know when to ask for a repeat from the surgery . With us, as with many we are 30 odd miles from a pharmacy so any medication can be delivered to the local shop for collection or delivered to you if you ask. It is a far cry from what I remember of the U K system .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top