Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 05:22 PM

Bored with turkey?

Want a change?.....have a bash at these.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...world-eat.html
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Re: Bored with turkey?

I think I’ll stick with the turkey, poohdog!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 07:00 PM

Yep, no contest, turkey and lamb for us...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 07:06 PM

Some of those actually sound quite nice and I would be happy to try them - not on Christmas day though.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 07:55 PM

Vegetarian they spoke to for uk was odd, although I like seeing us represented you can hardly say that's traditional fare for most.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 07:56 PM

That was really interesting reading what other Nationalities eat Christmas.
smile
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 08:55 PM

Turkey and Venison for me - with all the trimmings - apart from devils spawn (also known as sprouts) !
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Vegetarian they spoke to for uk was odd, although I like seeing us represented you can hardly say that's traditional fare for most.
I like my turkey rare - walking around, actually.

Individual pumpkins with a vegetable stew inside are my favorite entree to serve for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The pumpkin can be scooped out in little bites along with the stew.

Hard to see, but at the bottom of the photos you can see one that I made yesterday.

Click image for larger version

Name:	QOTK6485 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	4561

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 10:39 AM

It all looks rather unappetising
Last year I had home made goats cheese tarts with a selection of salads for lunch on Christmas day.

Not sure what I am having this year, vegetable curry maybe
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 11:06 AM

Well if bored with Turkey and stuffing , how about traditional Norwegian Christmas dish. " Lutefish"

it states off as a piece of probably Cod, which is then dried until it resembles something like a solid piece of very hard cardboard. When it is required this is the process.

Lutefisk is dried whitefish (normally cod, treated with lye. The first step is soaking the stockfish in cold water for five to six days (with the water changed daily). The saturated stockfish is then soaked in an unchanged solution of cold water and lye for an additional two days. The fish swells during this soaking, and its protein content decreases by more than 50 percent, producing a jelly-like consistency.
When this treatment is finished, the fish (saturated with lye) is caustic, with a pH of 11–12. To make the fish edible, a final treatment of yet another four to six days of soaking in cold water (also changed daily) is needed. Eventually, the lutefisk is ready to be cooked.

Cooking.

After the preparation, the lutefisk is saturated with water and must therefore be cooked extremely carefully so that it does not fall to pieces.

To create a firm consistency in lutefisk, it is common to spread a layer of salt over the fish about half an hour before it is cooked. This will "release" some of the water in the fish meat. The salt must be rinsed off carefully before cooking.
Lutefisk does not need additional water for the cooking; it is sufficient to place it in a pan, salt it, seal the lid tightly, and let it steam cook under a very low heat for 20–25 minutes. An alternative is to wrap in aluminium foil and bake at 225 °C (435 °F) for 40–50 minutes.
Another option is to parboil lutefisk; wrapped in cheesecloth and gently boiled until tender. Lutefisk can also be boiled directly in a pan of water.

When cooking and eating lutefisk, it is important to clean the lutefisk and its residue off pans, plates, and utensils immediately. Lutefisk left overnight becomes nearly impossible to remove. Sterling silver should never be used in the cooking, serving or eating of lutefisk, which will permanently ruin silver. Stainless steel utensils are recommended instead.

In Norway, Lutefisk is traditionally served with boiled potatoes, mashed green peas, melted butter, small pieces of fried bacon and sometimes melted geitost (brown goat cheese).

Sticking to the Turkey then!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top