Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
SallyS
South East, UK
SallyS is female  SallyS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Re: Downsizing yes or no?

We downsized and regretted it, 8 years ago we moved into a chalet semi bungalow, but have just put the house on the market as we want a detached house. Also we are opposite a school and I’m fed up with mothers parking across our drive. It’s a small village, why can’t they walk their kids?
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 10:13 AM

I considered downsizing when hubby died but not for long.

I love this house, spent 27 years here, got excellent neighbours and the dog walking facilities are brilliant and only 100 yards away.

It's a small 3 bedroom semi in a...rural-ish location, as in there are other houses close by but quite a bit of greenery too.

I have spent the last couple of years catching up with things that needed doing like garden re-vamp and interior decorating. I've also changed a few things round to suit me rather than stick to what's popular.

I've had a couple of troublesome hedges that were becoming a nightmare to cut taken out and replaced with fencing. That has helped hugely.

Probably in the future things will need to be renewed but I'm prepared for that, and I intend to stay here as long as possible.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2018, 02:04 PM

We could do with downsizing, but I know my OH will never leave this house - we have been here approx.30 years. The best way we can both be happy, I think, is to make everything as easy and practical as possible. Pretty soon we will need to have a gardener and, last year we decided not to do anymore decorating ourselves. The fabric of the house is in excellent order, it is well insulated and it is in a very peaceful area with lots of open countryside very close by. The neighbours are nice, although we are all getting older (lady next door is 100 in April). The problem is the house is just too big with four bedrooms. The property tax is also higher than we would like - there are just the two of us now. If anything happens to either of us or we become infirm, then one thought would be to split the house up and rent the top half out. There would perhaps be difficulties with council over this, so we would need to look carefully into it. If not, the upstairs can easily be left, bring a bed down and live downstairs. If we were going to move, I think it would have been easier if we had done it years ago when the children left home.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top