Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:13 PM

Massive Asteroid/Meteorite

Just curious to know if anyone else was lucky enough to see the colossal meteorite that could be seen on New Year's Eve.

I was travelling from Suffolk towards Lincoln when this huge green ball of fire hurtled across the dark skies in front of us.

Initially my wife thought it must be a firework, it being New Year's Eve but the steady near horizontal trajectory was the tell-tale sign that it was something burning through the atmosphere.

Ordinary shooting stars tend to be tiny points of light that look little more than ordinary stars to us but which leave a trail behind them as they burn up.

This meteor, which we saw in Suffolk/Lincoln, and which was also seen right across Yorkshire and over in Liverpool must have been huge.

It really was the stuff of apocalyptic disaster movies. A huge green ball of fiery mass plummeting to Earth. If it had not burned up I don't doubt that there would have been devastation and a massive earthquake and shockwave.

I wonder if it were actually some satellite or part of a space station falling to Earth but I guess we will never know.

There's some mixed footage of it to be seen here:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...astle-14099302

The latter parts reflect more accurately what was seen.

Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:43 PM

Re: Massive Asteroid/Meteorite

Maybe some lizards that never managed to land?
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 07:52 PM

I wish I'd seen it realist , not heard about it , nothing on the news , yet I bet astronomers knew it was coming . Fascinating
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:07 PM

We didn't get any warning it was coming. I don't know if that's because it was too small to see it coming or the fact that we just cannot track these things properly.

Just makes you think what if a big one got through like that.

I did see what I thought was a meteor once a few years ago. It was traveling very fast and low and seemed to be flying parallel to the ground. It had sparks coming out the back.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
We didn't get any warning it was coming. I don't know if that's because it was too small to see it coming or the fact that we just cannot track these things properly.

Just makes you think what if a big one got through like that.

I did see what I thought was a meteor once a few years ago. It was traveling very fast and low and seemed to be flying parallel to the ground. It had sparks coming out the back.
That was me in a hire car.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 03:07 AM

I wish I had seen the meteorite. I love stuff like that
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 01:01 PM

I've seen plenty of standard meteors / shooting stars especially whilst at sea where there is little light pollution, but this was something else entirely.

It genuinely was a massive fireball of green streaking across the sky. Amazing to see, but equally scary. Really was expecting to witness a huge shockwave from it landing but thankfully it did burn up completely.

I still think it could well have been a satellite or other man made object.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-01-2018, 01:09 PM

What's mind blowing is that it was seen as far down as Portsmouth and as high up as Scotland.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Friend of mine in Minnesota saw this one: https://www.sott.net/category/17-Fire-in-the-Sky
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2018, 08:03 AM

The main thing is it missed us!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top