Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 08:57 PM

multiple sclerosis

Does anyone have experience of MS on this forum? I've just been looking at the MS Society website and see it offers a quite confusing range of pages showing what care is available and appears to be entirely an information only charity. Does it actually DO anything other than direct MS sufferers to an NHS or social care service?

Any information on actual services available would be appreciated.

Thanks
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 11:13 AM

Re: multiple sclerosis

I have ms I can't say I've ever found many services I'm afraid. Even aids like crutches and wheelchair we have had to buy ourselves.

I get annual appointment with neurologist who tells me how I am, I always think I could have told them that.

I get six monthly appointment with my GP if I can get one booked, to make sure I'm coping and to get my repeat prescriptions.

I used to go to a group meeting of other sufferers but I haven't been to that for years it was just too depressing. I don't even know if it is still going on.

One thing they all say is stop working and I'm not doing that. So the help has never started for me, so I have no idea what they offer if you do stop working.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Thanks Julie - sorry to hear you have MS. I'm told there are certain benefits or grants you can claim, but these are subject to medical reports............I'd like to know the medical state you need to be in to try and gauge if the benefit would be paid or not, AND to make sure the goalposts don't change in the future.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 05:05 PM

I only know a couple of people get any benefit or money at all due to their condition and they are extremely affected by it can't, hardly leave the house. I'm not saying there isn't anything out there but I don't know of anything.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 12:21 AM

The MS society focuses on emotional support (via local groups) and funds research. They don't provide care as far as I know. I know someone with the milder form of MS who works there when she's up to travelling to London. She's in her '60s now. There are quite a few with MS who volunteer there. I think they have a helpline. My friend who has the aggressive progressive form is on gene therapy but it's not helping. He developed it in his early 60s. I had another friend who died in his 30s of the same after being diagnosed as a teen. You have more support if you have the aggressive form but it's not that great. With the milder form they expect you to just get on with life it seems.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

16-01-2018, 08:50 AM

Thanks AnnieS - I think I have to find out more details.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2018, 03:21 PM

Lindyloo,do you mean being awarded money via the Benefits system ?
It always pays to apply for anything you think you might be entitled to .

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-supp...ility-benefits
Lindyloo
isle of wight

17-01-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Lindyloo,do you mean being awarded money via the Benefits system ?
It always pays to apply for anything you think you might be entitled to .

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/ms-supp...ility-benefits
You may be right, but I suspect it goes against you if your medical assessment concludes that you're not yet ill enough to qualify. Hence my comment regarding finding out where the goalposts lie. Better, I suspect, to wait until you're sure you'll qualify medically.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
You may be right, but I suspect it goes against you if your medical assessment concludes that you're not yet ill enough to qualify. Hence my comment regarding finding out where the goalposts lie. Better, I suspect, to wait until you're sure you'll qualify medically.
Not sure I’m understanding your “not ill enough to qualify” comment.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

17-01-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Not sure I’m understanding your “not ill enough to qualify” comment.
Someone assesses your physical disabilities and if you don't qualify, presumably it's because your physical disabilities are deemed to be sufficiently good........or not sufficiently bad to qualify for the benefit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top