Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:05 PM

Not the Flu

I visited the doctors back in early December with a persistent cough which had been ongoing for a few months,had an x-ray all clear subsequent blood test revealed all with in parameters,am now waiting on a spirometory test (lung capacity) so why the title not the flu? I've ended up with a lung infection a course of antibiotics never cleared it so am now on penicillin,never rains but it poors,age doesn't come alone,still breathing to be able to have a moan though.

Not looking for sympathy just wanted to get it off me chest,pun intended.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:08 PM

Re: Not the Flu

Moan away, sometimes that's all that helps ! I often think they use a dart board approach to chest infections chucking whatever antibiotic comes to hand at it. You will get right one and get better just takes a bit longer to do so.

Hope this course works for you.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:11 PM

Don't want to worry you but hubby went through what you describe and it turned out after the lung test showed emphysema, he used to be a smoker but quit over 25 years ago.

Now on two meds and doing fine although still gets a little out of breath doing anything strenuous.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 01:57 PM

Caricature ,these chest infections are troublesome ,why have you to wait for the lung capacity test ,I thought they could be done by a practice nurse? I think it’s pretty normal to do these by the way after an infection doesn’t respond.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Hope you feel better soon.

Some years ago I went to the GP with a persistent cough, they listened, said nothing wrong. Maybe days later I ended up with food poisoning, got an ambulance to take me in. Mum and I spent the night in a part of A&E, bless her, she sat in a chair. What was I doing? Vomiting, pooing, and coughing my guts up!!! I felt rotten.

After my discharge I went back to the GP and hey presto, they detected ‘a crackle’ and finally prescribed antibiotics. I think had I started on them earlier I wouldn’t have been so rough while in hospital.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Caricature ,these chest infections are troublesome ,why have you to wait for the lung capacity test ,I thought they could be done by a practice nurse? I think it’s pretty normal to do these by the way after an infection doesn’t respond.
Because it may give a false reading.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 02:27 PM

Very frustrating for you .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 02:41 PM

Hope you’ll feel better soon Caricature....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 03:15 PM

I had a persistent cough a few years ago. Turned out to be acid reflux...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Adanac ->
Don't want to worry you but hubby went through what you describe and it turned out after the lung test showed emphysema, he used to be a smoker but quit over 25 years ago.

Now on two meds and doing fine although still gets a little out of breath doing anything strenuous.

Your other half can come and join me darlin'. I have Emphysema in the upper part of my lungs and Fibrosis in the bottom. When the two meet in the middle I turn my toes up. Seriously have looked at the stuff on-line about Fibrosis - says people tend to live only between 3 - 5 years after diagnosis.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top