Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 03:38 PM

Pharmacist.

Yesterday when i went to collect my prescription, i was asked if i would mind chatting to the Pharmacist.

I was invited into a side room and he explained the government now want our pharmacists to take over the duties of drug information and usage.

This is to free up GP`s time, i said that i had just read that the government intended to close a lot of pharmacies they tell us to use instead of bothering GP`s, he gave me a wry smile.

Anyway he began to go through my medication bit by bit (600+ per month) and did an excellent job explaining the why and wherefores of each medication and some of the effects they can have over time.

As a result i will be looking to change a few things. One encouraging thing for Diabetics on the horizon, is a patch has been developed that takes your BG over the course of a week via an APP to your phone.

This means no more needles for testing, and its close to being as cheap as the current testing regime of strips and lancets, and wlll become cheaper with greater uptake. Hoping to introduce it in the next few months.

Secondly an eye problem i have that i had put down to as yet untreated condition, could well be related to a drug i take i will need to see if this is so.

We also discussed future possibilities if reqd. and i found the experience very positive indeed, much like what a GP used to offer.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 03:44 PM

Re: Pharmacist.

That sounds more positive for you Nom, food for thought... and hope.

Fingers crossed it will help you in the future.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 04:21 PM

I had a similar experience a fortnight ago. I collect my prescibed meds from the surgery as we're out in the sticks. I was asked to have a review with the pharmacist, and this actually took place over the phone. I had paracetamol on my list and no longer take these, so she suggested we remove them - fine by me. She also suggested I try lowering the dose of Omeprazole as it was considered that this might cause problems in the future. I agreed wholeheartedly, the fewer tablets the better as far as I'm concerned.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 04:42 PM

I would chat more with the pharmacists at my local chemist but they seem to change every 6 months whereas I've known my doctor for 7 years.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
That sounds more positive for you Nom, food for thought... and hope.

Fingers crossed it will help you in the future.

I agree with Mags, Nom.

How refreshing as well, that someone will actually sit down and spend time explaining everything.

Encouraging news indeed.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 05:57 PM

I have been doing this for a few years now, I understand the pharmacy get paid for the service which helps to fund their delivery service. They check that you know what your meds are for and that you are taking them correctly. A good service I think and always pleased to attend.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 07:53 PM

I've been using a private pharmacy round the corner to me for years now, and he has done a meds review before now. Just to check I know what each one is for. Seeing as he owns/runs it, I don't get different people in there, apart from his wife or assistant. Continuity.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2018, 08:56 PM

My Pharmacist is the nicest, most friendly person one could meet. He is extremely caring, talks through medications, does my flu jab and even delivered medication(which he had to request specifically for me) in the evening on his way home from work.

He even gave me the name of a gardener to cut my hedges.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 01:57 PM

I got cheesed off when the pharmacist kept asking to examine my chest. I'm only on Omeprazole for stomach acid issues and while I know indigestion can feel like a heart attack he told me a heart attack can feel like indigestion......hmmmmmm, not too sure about that.

As I've been having these issues for 8 years, if it were a heart attack I think I would know by now! Plus my GP had just given me an MOT so I politely declined his kind offer. Again and again and again.

Nowadays I get my meds from a different chemist who doesn't badger me.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
I got cheesed off when the pharmacist kept asking to examine my chest. I'm only on Omeprazole for stomach acid issues and while I know indigestion can feel like a heart attack he told me a heart attack can feel like indigestion......hmmmmmm, not too sure about that.

As I've been having these issues for 8 years, if it were a heart attack I think I would know by now! Plus my GP had just given me an MOT so I politely declined his kind offer. Again and again and again.

Nowadays I get my meds from a different chemist who doesn't badger me.
You should be grateful they were concerned enough to wish to do so.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top