Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 08:26 AM

Stop smoking ad with little boy getting ready for school

I am sure some people have seen this add where the little boy gets ready for school and makes his bed.... while his dying mother watches from the other bedroom.
All the stop smoking ads are strong, but this one brings a tear to my eyes because it is so real. It makes me think of friends and family , who still smoke, and the effect their death would have on those who love them.
I know that the only person who can stop you smoking is yourself, but I would be happy to encourage anybody who tries to make this life saving change.
What would, or has, made you stop smoking?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:25 AM

Re: Stop smoking ad with little boy getting ready for school

Ive never smoked Twink but my mother did and she died of lung cancer. I remember when i was younger thinking how sophisticated it looked a d grown up when i saw people smoking. Thankfully that image has now changed and smoking is no longer seen as glamourous, I'm thankfull that when i tried it it made me feel sick so i never got the habit.

My son used to smoke he now vapes, hopefully thats better for him and i do support him in that.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:50 AM

I don't think we have that advert here

I stopped for 5 years when my grandson was born. I didn't want him to grow up in a smoke filled envoirment ( I cared for him 3 nights a week).

Unfortunately I started again after 5 years, but quit again last year

The one thing I regret in a lifetime of mistakes and bad choices, was picking up that first cigarette aged 11

Thankfully now my grandchildren have no smokers in the extended families so they aren't seeing it as normal. Hopefully they will never start
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Smoking has never been permitted in our home. Our children were never allowed to go to the homes of children where their parents smoked in front of them. Our middle daughter has asthma and it was important she didn't breath in cigarette smoke as it would bring on an attack.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Cost initially stopped me looking back they were cheap as chips at the time but I wanted a car and what I sent up in smoke I decided to put toward that.

I then met my rabidly none smoking husband and no cigarettes have ever tempted me enough to risk losing him. He is straight down the line he won't live with smokers.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:04 AM

I've never smoked,so when My youngest Daughter and Her Husband gave up recently and vape occasionally, I was delighted..They don't seem to be suffering any withdrawel symptoms..I hope My Son follows Them but I doubt it,He just doesn't want to.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:34 AM

We can't force anybody to give up smoking but I hope those that do feel extremely proud if themselves.
I know it isn't easy...having done it myself, but I think of the words on the ad... " It is never too late to stop smoking". Those words are right, but it is easier to do when you are feeling good, than when you are fighting a life threatening disease.
I don't personally know any of you, but it always makes me happy when you post that you are giving up.... because I am sure I wouldn't still be alive if I hadn't.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:42 AM

I have never smoked and my children have not either .
When I see young women with push chairs puffing away their child's head wreathed in smoke I want to seize them and give them a good hiding!
Decades of education of the dangers of smoking ignored , the health of this children disregarded so back to basics .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 10:46 AM

I've never seen that advert Twink? Sounds awful. Is it on Sky?

I don't smoke, can't stand the smell of it even, but used to over twenty years ago.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

14-02-2018, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've never seen that advert Twink? Sounds awful. Is it on Sky?

I don't smoke, can't stand the smell of it even, but used to over twenty years ago.
It is on TV Mups. The sweet little boy ( about 6 years old) struggles to get himself dressed, makes his bed and moves to his bedroom door where his expression changes, as he looks across to his parents bedroom.
His mum is in bed , wearing a head covering ( which i think indicates Chemo & cancer) and his dad is sitting by her bed. Then you hear "One of every 2 long term smokers will die of a smoking related disease.....some only in their 40's"

It makes me really sad!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top