Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:03 AM

Re: Stop smoking ad with little boy getting ready for school

I do think we might stop more people if we had ads about the smell, my friend Mel gave up and was horrified at how her home and clothes smelled she said if she'd realised she would have stopped years ago. Nose blind I think they call it.

Young girls particularly can be stopped by the idea it makes them smell vile.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:11 AM

I haven't seen that ad' either..but I think if My Daughter could have had Children They would both have stopped a long time ago..still..better late than never...No-one has ever been allowed to smoke in My Home as I just hate the smell and the smoke affects My eyes,...and none of the Men in My Life were smokers either.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:16 AM

I bought my first pack of cigarettes at the age of sixteen and struggled to light it in a shop door way, I got through a few matches that day. I came home and told my parents that I had started smoking. My dad advise me not to but he knew he couldn't stop me plus he smoked himself.

I smoked for about 15 years then gave up for 20,then started again for a few years. I finally gave up again about 3 years ago. Each Time I gave up, it was due to the cost and not the health issues.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I do think we might stop more people if we had ads about the smell, my friend Mel gave up and was horrified at how her home and clothes smelled she said if she'd realised she would have stopped years ago. Nose blind I think they call it.

Young girls particularly can be stopped by the idea it makes them smell vile.
Omg , the smell

I swore I I'd never be one of those evangelical ex smokers, complaining about the smell, but alas , I have to admit it stinks

My brother and sister in law both still smoke. They have finally stopped smoking in the house but there is still a whiff of tobacco smoke on the furniture. When they stay over here they know we don't allow smoking in the house and have always been good about going outside, but they don't half whiff when they come back in

Smoking no doubt has ruined my health, it's certainly ruined my teeth. All wonky and loose due to smoking hiding the effects of gum disease. Now what I don't spend on fags I pay to the dentist and hygienist in a fight to halt the years of damage
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I bought my first pack of cigarettes at the age of sixteen and struggled to light it in a shop door way, I got through a few matches that day. I came home and told my parents that I had started smoking. My dad advise me not to but he knew he couldn't stop me plus he smoked himself.

I smoked for about 15 years then gave up for 20,then started again for a few years. I finally gave up again about 3 years ago. Each Time I gave up, it was due to the cost and not the health issues.
When we started smoking cigarettes, I suspect that we had all heard it was dangerous, but thought " I will be alright". By the time you hear of people dying because they smoke you are already hooked and it takes strong determination to give them up... so money is often an incentive to stop.
I don't mind why people stop, I am just happy that they do!
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:27 AM

I never started. As I approached the age when I could smoke I was well aware that both my parents were trying – with difficulty – to give it up. Best not to start I thought.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I never started. As I approached the age when I could smoke I was well aware that both my parents were trying – with difficulty – to give it up. Best not to start I thought.
Well done you Mr Magoo!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2018, 11:40 AM

Trouble is we all start when we feel fit and well. Think we are invincible. It's an insidious thing that creeps up on us.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top