Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2018, 07:55 PM

Re: Has internet shopping gone too far?

There are some savings to be had if you look for voucher codes. https://www.vouchercodes.co.uk
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2018, 09:05 PM

I also buy a lot online. My dogs food is an example, in excess of £50 for a 15kg bag in all local outlets. I get it delivered next day from online company for £37.50.
Medea
East Sussex
Medea is female 

28-03-2018, 05:01 PM

Parking restrictions have a lot to do with people staying out of the town. There is nowhere you can park in the town centre without paying £1.60 at least an hour and it can be prohibitive even meeting someone for a coffee you have to add up the price of parking. Business rates for small retailers are also very high and keep costs up because their overheads are high and thy cannot compete with Supermarkets out of town with their own car parks.

I buy a stuff online like electrical and white goods. Books DVD's although not so many now and toys. I don't buy clothes online or shoes as I like to try them on and sizes differ so much these days.

I don't want to see a boarded up high street with pop up shops occasionally it is very depressing. Councils should look into keeping charges down.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 07:00 PM

I normally take in five or six parcels per week for my immediate neighbours (I don't mind doing that) but that's an indication of how shopping is changing.

I also agree with about all the parking charges putting people off and the fact that everywhere is too crowded to enjoy the experience. I know! Let's build another 200,000 houses.
Medea
East Sussex
Medea is female 

29-03-2018, 11:41 AM

The problem with building more houses is they don't take into consideration the infrastructure that need to go with them. More houses need more schools, doctors etc. otherwise you are already adding to vastly overstretched essential amenities.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by medea ->
the problem with building more houses is they don't take into consideration the infrastructure that need to go with them. More houses need more schools, doctors etc. Otherwise you are already adding to vastly overstretched essential amenities.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

29-03-2018, 12:07 PM

Our Post Office has just moved from it's old traditional building in the centre of the town to inside a newsagents just outside. We are left with yet another empty premises on the High street.
Medea
East Sussex
Medea is female 

29-03-2018, 01:54 PM

We had a lovly big post office in the town centre been there for years and was always full. Then it closed down and opened up in Smiths Newsagents and the queues are horrendous. The original building now stands empty - why?
Another main post office is now in the BP Garage!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 08:28 AM

I rarely need to go to a post office these days as one can buy stamps in the supermarket.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top