Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2018, 11:19 PM

Re: Passwords

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Hmmm I guess probabilities and stats were not your major at school then !!

Just taking those first 3 chars. Firstly you ASSume that there are only 3 because there are only 3 in the examples given but there could be more. But regardless, let's take it as 3. There are roughly 80 chars in the Ascii character set that they will come from. Thus the number of different combinations for just those 3 characters is:

80 x 80 x 80 = 512,000

Then let's take the 3-4 digits at the end of the password. Again you don't know how many digits there should be, the examples clearly show it can vary but for the sake of highlighting the idiocy in your comments let's take it as 4 digits.

The number of permutations for a 4 digit number are:

10 x 10 x 10 x 10 = 10,000

Therefore at very best you're having to find 3 chars in over half a million and 4 digits in 10,000 but if the 3 chars are related in some way to the 4 digits then you are effectively looking at combinations of both which would be 5,120,000.
It is quite clear neither comprehension or maths are your subjects that's for sure. You are the most pedantic sophist I have ever come across.

I already told you the permutation for finding the number no need for maths - you count from zero to 9999... Now how many numbers is that? Wow! 10000. Amazing! (I know I said 1 but I forgot you are such a pedant)

Half a million permutations for a computer? Peanuts!

Suppose a CPU has a frequency of 1.8GHz then this means that it can produce 1,800,000,000 cycles per second. This means that if an instruction takes one cycle to complete then this CPU can execute 1,800,000,000 instructions in a single second.

Calculating all possible combinations of three digits plus the numbers at the end would take a PC a matter of minutes.

The point is that because you have a system - and you can squirm all you like but that is what it is - get one password and all the rest are at risk. it is only slightly more complex than using the same password for everything. Next?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Suppose a CPU has a frequency of 1.8GHz then this means that it can produce 1,800,000,000 cycles per second. This means that if an instruction takes one cycle to complete then this CPU can execute 1,800,000,000 instructions in a single second.

Calculating all possible combinations of three digits plus the numbers at the end would take a PC a matter of minutes.
You missed the crucial point again ! You can't make use of that because any website will give you 3 attempts before locking you out. Thus you have no idea what the password is.

The point is that because you have a system - and you can squirm all you like but that is what it is - get one password and all the rest are at risk. it is only slightly more complex than using the same password for everything. Next?
Nope not true because there are different systems in play.
And besides that it's extremely unlikely anyone will ever work out the system
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 12:23 PM

You missed the crucial point again ! You can't make use of that because any website will give you 3 attempts before locking you out. Thus you have no idea what the password is.

Nope not true because there are different systems in play.
And besides that it's extremely unlikely anyone will ever work out the system
Sorry you're squirming again - Here's a reminder of what you ACTUALLY said:

You invent a 4 character prefix which you are always going to remember. Let's say you choose MC01 for reasons only you would know.

Now invent a 4 digit number that only you know, say 7156

Now when you set a password for a given site you construct it with the following parts:

Prefix + Sitename + 4 digit number

So let's say it's a password for the OVER50 forum

The password would be:

MC01OVER507156

If it's a password for Barclays bank it might be:

MC01Barclays7156

and so on

When you use a system like this you no longer need to worry about having to remember your many passwords. All you are going to remember is your prefix MC01 and yout number 7156.

So if you're wondering what your password was for say Amazon you know it will be :

MC01Amazon7156
OK, remember that?

With this system once one password is exposed for example in the LinkedIn hack (MC01LinkedIn7156) then all your passwords are at risk.

As I say you are the last person anybody should accept password advice from. A system is always weak.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2018, 12:50 PM

Sorry you're squirming again - Here's a reminder of what you ACTUALLY said:
Bruce, Bruce, Bruce . . . .

I've clearly hurt your feelings by highlighting how nonsensical your previous posts have been which suggested that you could crunch half a million password permutations in short order, but then couldn't apply the results anywhere because a website would only give you on average 3 attempts at logging in before locking you out.

Now you're selectively quoting me in what seems an act of desperation. The crucial line you very deliberately left out of my quote there was this:

Originally Posted by Me
"If you can't remember passwords then simply employ a system. Here's a simple one just as an example:"
Which dutifully explains that I'm merely showing how systems can be put together and how easy it then makes it for people to remember passwords without the utter stupidity of writing them down on bits of paper.

You then neglect to quote the more complicated system examples I provided, those being:

Originally Posted by Me
"aw(Barclays1869, sd&Twitter958, fh%Gmail136"
which I again stated as being just another EXAMPLE of the type of thing that could be achieved and which YOU thus far have been singularly incapable of deciphering, which given that it's a simple example is somewhat telling.

Bottom line here is that in your fervour to disparage my posts you've failed to read them properly and made a bit of a fool of yourself.

You simply can not crunch all the password permutations because no computer system will ever permit someone to endlessly engage in unchallenged brute force hacking.

Equally, if your password system is tight and strong enough (which means having variable components) then there's no way it's going to be hacked or deciphered.

The suggestion that people should devolve all of their password responsibilities to a piece of software (a password manager) is frankly ludicrous. If the software fails you're Daffy Ducked or if your credentials for that password software are hacked, then the hacker has access to everything. All the eggs are in one basket, which is just stupid.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

01-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce . . . .

I've clearly hurt your feelings by highlighting how nonsensical your previous posts have been which suggested that you could crunch half a million password permutations in short order, but then couldn't apply the results anywhere because a website would only give you on average 3 attempts at logging in before locking you out.

Now you're selectively quoting me in what seems an act of desperation. The crucial line you very deliberately left out of my quote there was this:

Which dutifully explains that I'm merely showing how systems can be put together and how easy it then makes it for people to remember passwords without the utter stupidity of writing them down on bits of paper.

You then neglect to quote the more complicated system examples I provided, those being:

which I again stated as being just another EXAMPLE of the type of thing that could be achieved and which YOU thus far have been singularly incapable of deciphering, which given that it's a simple example is somewhat telling.

Bottom line here is that in your fervour to disparage my posts you've failed to read them properly and made a bit of a fool of yourself.

You simply can not crunch all the password permutations because no computer system will ever permit someone to endlessly engage in unchallenged brute force hacking.

Equally, if your password system is tight and strong enough (which means having variable components) then there's no way it's going to be hacked or deciphered.

The suggestion that people should devolve all of their password responsibilities to a piece of software (a password manager) is frankly ludicrous. If the software fails you're Daffy Ducked or if your credentials for that password software are hacked, then the hacker has access to everything. All the eggs are in one basket, which is just stupid.
Yawn...
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2018, 06:44 PM

I keep passwords written down but in code.
For instance

Marys birthday
Joes birthday
The first company I worked for
Mums maiden name
Dads occupation

etc etc....

Nobody else would know the answers but you.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I keep passwords written down but in code.
For instance

Marys birthday
Joes birthday
The first company I worked for
Mums maiden name
Dads occupation

etc etc....

Nobody else would know the answers but you.
Surely, Carol, anyone who gets a keylogger onto your PC will get all those passwords, liketty spit!

Encryption works best for me!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 03:45 PM

My banking app, plus a few other important passwords are stored on my phone in Google Keep which I can access from my phone, tablet or laptop. I suppose the cloud could break, but I remember the memorable information associated with my bank account and could change the password with that.

I have 2 memorable passwords I couldn't forget and tend to use them with most sites/forums.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

21-04-2018, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
My banking app, plus a few other important passwords are stored on my phone in Google Keep which I can access from my phone, tablet or laptop. I suppose the cloud could break, but I remember the memorable information associated with my bank account and could change the password with that.

I have 2 memorable passwords I couldn't forget and tend to use them with most sites/forums.
While Keep is very good for Shopping lists etc I wouldn't have thought it safe enough for Passwords.

Why not use the free Keepass ? It is specifically designed for the purpose with 128bit encoding and has versions for Windows, Android and Linux. The same encrypted file is readable by all versions so you can use something like Dropbox or Drive to automatically transfer the file between all your devices.

I think it would be much safer that way.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top