Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 01:43 PM

Robocopy v Xcopy

I have just about changed all my backup files from the older Xcopy to Robocopy and it all seems to work as well.

It took a while to get used to the idea that Robocopy has all the excludes in the command line rather than a text file but that is not such a problem when you get used to it.

The only thing that Robocopy cannot do - or if it can I cannot work out how - is to change the name of the original file in the backup copy.

eg change the backup copy of TestFile.bat to Testfile.txt.

I only want to use this for batch files because accidentally double clicking on them in the wrong place can be potentially dangerous (though I do try to write in checks to avoid this) so changing them to an innocuous text file is a good safety measure. Currently that is about the only time I use Xcopy.

Command line scripts have come a long way since DOS 3.3 I keep coming across new ideas.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2018, 03:35 PM

Re: Robocopy v Xcopy

Bruce, I read all that and don't have a clue what you are talking about
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2018, 12:08 PM

Re: Robocopy v Xcopy

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Bruce, I read all that and don't have a clue what you are talking about
Try:

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/batch_script/

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top