Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 01:35 PM

Re: Laptop overheating?

My laptop doesn't even get mildly warm - but it is a MacBook. I grew sick of PCs with noisy fans and hot laptops.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
My laptop doesn't even get mildly warm - but it is a MacBook. I grew sick of PCs with noisy fans and hot laptops.
I have to admit that I am no fan of Microsoft and have considered Crapple myself.

However, would a Mac run such things as Adobe Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD, two programmes I use a lot?
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 02:09 PM

A MacBook Pro probably would; I just have a basic MacBook 12.

It's just a glorified Chromebook/Netbook for me; I don't use 20% of what it can do.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hi,
I find that my laptop frequently starts up its fans and blows out hot air from the vents. This continues for quite some time. I opened Task Manager to see which functions were using the most memory:

MBAM (Malwarebytes) = 211,272 K
Chrome (several entries) = 196,792 K

Also, examining 'Speed Fan', all four cores are running at a temperature of 60 and 80 C.
Hi JBR!

Your displayed temperatures are not really a problem as it would be quite normal, in a laptop, to get up to, around, 80 degrees.

However, it seems that your cooling fan is struggling to keep the temperature back in the right range.

I'd forget about what software is running and just have a good look at would could be wrong with the air flow.

Laptops are not the easiest boxes from which to get the dust out.

If you have an air blower/compressor (I use a compressor) you can blow the dust out backwards, against the normal flow, and after a few minutes the path should be clearer.

If that fails, the laptop would need to have the covers removed for a good clean out. Not as job for the nervous sort of person - but having it done professionally might be over a hundred squids.

If you don't have a small compressor, or a good vacuum cleaner which blows hard, maybe you could borrow one>
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:20 PM

Thanks TedC.

I did blow some air through the vent (into the one where the air comes out) a few weeks ago, but this was from one of those cans of air.

I don't have a vacuum cleaner that blows, but I suppose I could try using one to suck, placing the nozzle over the vent where air is sucked in. That's underneath. I assume that would be not dissimilar to blowing in through the air exit.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 06:33 PM

My old lappy used to overheat sometimes so I used to stand it on the grill thing out of the grill pan to give it an air gap.

Sometimes this new one gets a bit hot so I just prop up the side where the air outlet is with whatever is to hand.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 07:28 PM

Thanks TedC.

I did blow some air through the vent (into the one where the air comes out) a few weeks ago, but this was from one of those cans of air.

I don't have a vacuum cleaner that blows, but I suppose I could try using one to suck, placing the nozzle over the vent where air is sucked in. That's underneath. I assume that would be not dissimilar to blowing in through the air exit.
The trouble with blowing in the same direction as the normal air flow is that you might be compounding the problem by further compressing any dust.

If you don't have a blower you are up the gum tree a bit.

However, somebody I know put his laptop on the passenger seat of his car and went up to the garage and used the air blower, normally for tyres, which did the trick fine - for nowt!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

13-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
The trouble with blowing in the same direction as the normal air flow is that you might be compounding the problem by further compressing any dust.

If you don't have a blower you are up the gum tree a bit.

However, somebody I know put his laptop on the passenger seat of his car and went up to the garage and used the air blower, normally for tyres, which did the trick fine - for nowt!
No, I think you misread. Placing the vacuum cleaner inlet on the underside of the laptop, which is where the air is sucked in, would be drawing air back through the system in the opposite direction to where it normally flows.!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2018, 08:25 PM

Fan's coming on usually signifies a programme/application that uses the graphics card rather than base usage like your browser. You would know though if you're using any kind of app that needs graphics.

Possibly you've recently had an update to your antivirus system and the new core programme is hogging resources. It's a problem with all antivirus programmes esp the free ones. They work fine for a year or two the a new programme update comes along which makes everything run like a dog.

Try disabling your antivirus and see if it makes a difference.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

13-04-2018, 08:36 PM

No, I think you misread. Placing the vacuum cleaner inlet on the underside of the laptop, which is where the air is sucked in, would be drawing air back through the system in the opposite direction to where it normally flows.!
Ah OK!

maybe.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top