Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Re: I wonder if it's taught in schools

I'm certain there are lots of subjects not taught in schools these days in case the truth upsets someone.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 02:03 PM

The Holocaust most certainly is taught in schools.
My niece has taken several groups of secondary school kids over to Auschwitz. They are always very moved and horrified and one girl fainted one time.
But my niece is head of religious studies so maybe it's not taught outside that GCSE group?
She returns each time absolutely wrung out.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
The Holocaust was one of the most despicable episodes in history, as I am sure any decent German would agree. I cannot understand why there are some idiots who are Holocaust deniers when there is so much verifiable evidence to support it. However, it does not excuse the behaviour of the present regime in Israel, which is supported by the idiot in the White House.
Only one of an anti Semitic inclination would have felt the need to add that last sentence .Israel has never made the Holocaust an excuse for doing anything .
The present government is protecting its citizens from being overrun and murdered by its terrorist neighbours .
There will always be someone wanting to make a scapegoat of the Jews ( and Israel is full of Jews ) but Israel is not going to let another genocidal lot loose on its people .
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Only one of an anti Semitic inclination would have felt the need to add that last sentence .Israel has never made the Holocaust an excuse for doing anything .
The present government is protecting its citizens from being overrun and murdered by its terrorist neighbours .
There will always be someone wanting to make a scapegoat of the Jews ( and Israel is full of Jews ) but Israel is not going to let another genocidal lot loose on its people .
Israel is behaving in some ways like Hitler, where the Palestinians are concerned. Not supporting Israel's behaviour does not make me anti-Semitic, anymore than if I didn't support something Britain had done would make me anti-British.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 05:14 PM

I cant recollect it being taught at school in my day, it was The World At War TVvseries when i first. became aware.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 05:39 PM

"The boy in the striped pajamas" - need I say more?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
"The boy in the striped pajamas" - need I say more?
A film that makes me cry every time I watch it....probably 5-6 times!

I read a book about Hitlers life and it seems he hated the Jews, from being a very young man. He was resentful because Jewish people were wealthy and could afford second houses, that his family could never afford as a first home.
I have always believed that it was Hitler and his cronies that wanted Concentration camps, not the German people....but how many of them would dare to say that whilst fearing they could also disappear if they did.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 06:00 PM

Unfortunately Twink that has been disproven .
The majority of Germans did know what was going on ( as in my first link)
How could they not know when Jews were being beaten up in the streets and their homes and properties damaged and taken .
When cattle trucks full of Human beings were transported all over Germany and from all parts of Europe .
These things were not done in secret but openly.
Dacau was not in a desert but right near a town .
There were of course good people like Oskar Schindler.
He was tried with war crimes and the jewsish people he saved spoke up for him .
Many old unrepentant Nazis are still alive .
They knew alright.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2018, 06:21 PM

Muddy i wasn't saying they didn't know, just that they were afraid of the consequences if they made a fuss about it. I am sure Christians that helped the Jews would have suffered if they were discovered helping them to hide.

It was an evil time and I think the 2 little boys in the film demonstrated that the average German person didn't hate Jews.... some of them had been good neighbours before this persecution started.

More than 25 years after the war I remember the nasty British attitude, towards Germans that they met on holiday. Some of those Germans were no more than children during the war..... and the ones I spent time with were lovely people who regretted what Hitler did to the Jews, but how could they or their parents have stopped it?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

21-04-2018, 06:27 PM

Do you think Twink the British people would have allowed their neighbours to be shipped off in cattle carts ?
To be beaten in the streets and made to wear yellow stars ?
I hope that we would have been better than that.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top