Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 09:24 AM

LED Street Lights

Suggestions that LED lights could cause various diseases. Do you find them bad ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 09:42 AM

Re: LED Street Lights

I hadn't heard that, Dobra, but I do not like them very much. Can't answer for car drivers but, as a pedestrian, I find them useless. They are bright enough if one is immediately under them but the brightness does not extend very far - so one ends up walking in the dark most of the time.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 09:43 AM

I find the one outside my bungalow very bad, in that it is far too bright. It shines directly down into my bedroom window, so that now I have to wear a sleeping mask to block it out. I had new lined curtains last year, before the new light was fitted, so cant replace them. Because it is a bay window, I cannot have blackout blinds and being an insomniac, this new light has made matters far worse.

I think that maybe they are not such a problem for two storey houses as the light is concentrated downwards, but being below the level of the light is where the problem lays. However, I do not believe they cause diseases.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 01:22 PM

I haven't heard that LED lights may be harmful to health. We have very recently had our street lights replaced by LED ones and I quite like them. The light seems much nicer than the yellow sodium? ones. I look out of the window at night and the light on the close seems more like the moonlight now - quite pleasant.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Suggestions that LED lights could cause various diseases. Do you find them bad ?

Like what, Dobra? What bright ideas are 'the experts' coming up with now?

Silver Tabby, I entirely agree with everything you said.
There are OK if you are directly underneath them, but pretty useless otherwise.

Don't know about where you are, but they dim them round here just before midnight too. A flippin' candle gives off more light than a dimmed LED street lamp.

That's probably why my front wall has been knocked down twice by cars already!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 02:57 PM

I don't know about health, but most of the bright/blue LEDs are creating light pollution that makes it impossible to see the night sky, and may affect insects, birds, etc. - and they create a hideous ambiance, IMHO.

Here we are installing, per recent ordinances, these sea turtle-friendly LED street lights that cast a warm glow, use a minimum of electricity, make the roads visible, are shaded downwards, and minimize pollution. Plus, they create a non-institutional ambiance on the streets and in neighborhoods.

They look something like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	STret lights.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	5814

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 03:05 PM

We only have one street light in my village and I do't think it is LED, it has been the same in the 30 years I have lived here.

The main light in the village is the moon
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
We only have one street light in my village and I do't think it is LED, it has been the same in the 30 years I have lived here.

That sounds just lovely - and the way it should be. May it always be that way, Meg.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 08:24 PM

So why did they replace the sodium lamps? I didn't really like them but if it ain't broke and all that...

They ascertained that in offices workers should not sit under certain types of fluorescent lights. I remember feeling ill under fluorescent. But LED doesn't have a controversial reputation.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Must be lovely to live there. I've stayed in places with no light pollution and you feel so much more refreshed in the morning.

I do find it terrifying though to drive down dark streets. It would be ok if once you get out of the villages it wasn't 60 mph and windy roads. They should really have variable speed limits at night for the faint hearted.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top