Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 03:26 PM

Re: The Alfie Evans case has proven we have to change the law in favour of parents

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/0...to-be-changed/

Good points made by all. This dilemma will continue as medical technology develops.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Re: The Alfie Evans case has proven we have to change the law in favour of parents

I can see someone approaching the parents to ask would they like to write a book, or perhaps even make a film about this.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 04:33 PM

Have there not been cases in the past where parental decisions have endangered their children?
I am thinking of cases of refusing blood transfusions.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 04:51 PM

I have had recent experience of a relative on life support and how the physicians arrive at their conclusion.
I understand that three consultants attend and test 5 responses to assess brain activity, which is then repeated after a period to double check.
A relative can be present, the tests includes such things as gag reflex, eye reaction to bright light.
The patient in my own case was deemed brain dead a day or so before the subject was brought to the relatives attention. The medical staff were 'mananging' our expectations rather than our relative, while all the time they were treating him.
When they explained the situation the man's son convinced the other relatives,including the patients mother that watching the machine breathe on his behalf was helping us come to terms with the situation but not helping his father recover.
He died with moments of the machinery being turned off.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 07:13 PM

The ‘best interest’ test, was intended for cases where beneficial treatment is contested.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 07:46 PM

It seems the child was dying and the hospital stated he was brain dead.

Have any of you bleeding heart snowflakes have any proof the hospital was wrong in their diagnosis.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
I have had recent experience of a relative on life support and how the physicians arrive at their conclusion.
I understand that three consultants attend and test 5 responses to assess brain activity, which is then repeated after a period to double check.
A relative can be present, the tests includes such things as gag reflex, eye reaction to bright light.
The patient in my own case was deemed brain dead a day or so before the subject was brought to the relatives attention. The medical staff were 'mananging' our expectations rather than our relative, while all the time they were treating him.
When they explained the situation the man's son convinced the other relatives,including the patients mother that watching the machine breathe on his behalf was helping us come to terms with the situation but not helping his father recover.
He died with moments of the machinery being turned off.
Thank you for that.

I watched my wife die under the best possible care under the NHS and prayed they could save her but knowing in my heart they could not have Not wishing it but wanted my pain in losing her to end.

Small cell Lung cancer you get it and you die with in 9 months no hope no cure.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

28-04-2018, 08:24 PM

The law never envisaged these tragic events, it has to consider the parents rights.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The law never envisaged these tragic events, it has to consider the parents rights.
It appears the parents have no rights in such a situation. That was my point. Surely parents should have a say. You have a similar issue with anyone who is considered to lack capacity.

So it doesn't matter whether it's a child or not, after a certain point the patient belongs to the medics and loved ones have no say. So you may feel they made the right decision in this situation, but my point was should they be disregarding the views of loved ones? It goes back to the nil by mouth debate, but also touches on other areas.

We have people being forced to live in agony for years because we don't allow them the voluntary euthanasia they desire and then we have people having their life support switched off because it's too cruel to keep them alive.

Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong in the system?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

We have people being forced to live in agony for years because we don't allow them the voluntary euthanasia they desire and then we have people having their life support switched off because it's too cruel to keep them alive.

Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong in the system?
Have to admit when you put it like that there does seem to be a glaring disparity ...
but isn't that more a failing in denying voluntary euthanasia rather than questioning the right of the medical profession and courts to determine what is best for a terminally ill child in a semi-vegetative degenerative limbo that could hardly be called life?

I can see both sides of this.
A tend to agree that parent/parents should have final say and ultimate decision over the point and location of death when it involves their child. It can be interpreted that the State trumps a parents rights.

On the other hand, the little lad was not going to get any better, there was no cure for him and I suspect most of the legal wrangling was due to the parents unable to accept their little boy was doomed to die. Which is understandable.
If the Pope and the Italians were so sure they could help the child why didn't they fly over a consultant who could submit a medical report to the Courts?

Sadly, it just turned into a farce. Sad for the parents who once on the media merry-go-round struggled to get off it until the end ... when hopefully they spent some small, grievously short but good quality time with their little boy before it was too late. Better that memory to treasure rather than mobs outside a hospital.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top