Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Migraine Triggers

From early 20s my main triggers were food (eg oranges, coffee, chocolate, cheese), strobing lights, bright lights, stress. Typical stuff.

I'm being plagued with migraines of late - no headaches, visual disturbances, blind spots, feeling glazed, unable to express myself properly - can't grab the words I want. Feeling cold and lethargic.

Can't work out what the triggers are, but they're not those foods above, as I rarely eat them - and I'm so laid back at the mo, I'll could fall over.

So what are your triggers? Have they changed over the years?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 08:54 PM

Re: Migraine Triggers

Oh Pesta,

Right up my ally, I have suffered from migraines all my life. It crippled me for many of my jobs over the years.

Menstruation caused them. Then when that was over change of life caused them.

I am 75 and past menopause, so now the weather is causing them most of the time. If I sleep too much, I get a migraine. If I don't sleep enough, I get a migraine. If I do too much strenuous exercise or housework, I get a migraine. If there is a sudden change in the weather up or down...I get a migraine.

If I get constipated, I get a migraine. The above foods you mentioned cause me to get migraines.

I am noticing that if I just have one trigger, sometimes I don't get a migraine, but 2 or 3 triggers and for sure I am sick.

Sometimes I just get the aura. Sometimes, I just get sick and the headache. Sometimes it lasts one day and sometimes it is 3 days.

This is the worse sickness, I am sure you are going to agree because it really cripples us. We can't even make plans as we don't know how sick we are going to be....

Pesta, if I think of anything else, I will add it.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 08:55 PM

Never suffered with migraines until I got hooked on the internet.

Now I get avuncular migraines that disturb my vision and obscure words with black blodges so can't always see what I'm typing. when it really kicks in it's like looking down one of those colourful swirling kaleidoscope toys you could get when I was a id.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
From early 20s my main triggers were food (eg oranges, coffee, chocolate, cheese), strobing lights, bright lights, stress. Typical stuff.

I'm being plagued with migraines of late - no headaches, visual disturbances, blind spots, feeling glazed, unable to express myself properly - can't grab the words I want. Feeling cold and lethargic.

Can't work out what the triggers are, but they're not those foods above, as I rarely eat them - and I'm so laid back at the mo, I'll could fall over.

So what are your triggers? Have they changed over the years?
My husband suffers awful cluster headaches and we have never been able to find out if anything does trigger them. I am so glad I don't suffer them, I see how much pain my husband is in poor man. I'm sorry you suffer migraines, I hope one day they can find a cure for them.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 08:57 PM

Also, any kind of flashing lights, the sun hitting on the chrome fenders on the car. Wind is bad too.

Too much noise polution if it goes on too long.

You know the little blue and white lights on your TV, phone, other pieces of equipment. At night, I have to cover them as they will set me off.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Oh Pesta,

Right up my ally, I have suffered from migraines all my life. It crippled me for many of my jobs over the years.

Menstruation caused them. Then when that was over change of life caused them.

I am 75 and past menopause, so now the weather is causing them most of the time. If I sleep too much, I get a migraine. If I don't sleep enough, I get a migraine. If I do too much strenuous exercise or housework, I get a migraine. If there is a sudden change in the weather up or down...I get a migraine.

If I get constipated, I get a migraine. The above foods you mentioned cause me to get migraines.

I am noticing that if I just have one trigger, sometimes I don't get a migraine, but 2 or 3 triggers and for sure I am sick.

Sometimes I just get the aura. Sometimes, I just get sick and the headache. Sometimes it lasts one day and sometimes it is 3 days.

This is the worse sickness, I am sure you are going to agree because it really cripples us. We can't even make plans as we don't know how sick we are going to be....

Pesta, if I think of anything else, I will add it.
Bloody 'ell Blue, you poor thing! Such a lot, I don't know how you cope.

Yes, menstruation was a trigger with me, but not every month.

So are yours triggers on triggers rather than changing triggers? if you get what I mean
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-05-2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

Now I get avuncular migraines that disturb my vision and obscure words with black blodges so can't always see what I'm typing. when it really kicks in it's like looking down one of those colourful swirling kaleidoscope toys you could get when I was a id.
Yes, I get the kaleidoscope lights, zigzags... quite pretty to start with.
You know Morti, you really shouldn't be on the computer when you have one... the glare can only make it worse, you daft bat.

I've gone such a long time without them, 'cept for the odd occasion, so I can't understand why they've come back and what's triggering them.

Aside from the visuals and blank spots coming on, especially if I'm driving, I can't handle not being able to find my words. I'm sure my daughter thinks I've lost it
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-05-2018, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
My husband suffers awful cluster headaches and we have never been able to find out if anything does trigger them. I am so glad I don't suffer them, I see how much pain my husband is in poor man. I'm sorry you suffer migraines, I hope one day they can find a cure for them.
Thanks Lion. I'm sorry your husband suffers with the 'cluster headaches'. I have heard of them but TBH I don't know much about them. Do they have triggers like migraines do?

I remember our family GP going back to when I was a kid, he was a fantastic GP, but he was adamant there was no such thing as a migraine.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

04-05-2018, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->

Oh Mort, that is awful. I have never heard of avuncular migraines. I know I had a hard time getting used to the computer when I first got one. It seemed to make me sick...now I am used to it.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

04-05-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Also, any kind of flashing lights, the sun hitting on the chrome fenders on the car. Wind is bad too.

Too much noise polution if it goes on too long.

You know the little blue and white lights on your TV, phone, other pieces of equipment. At night, I have to cover them as they will set me off.
Yes, the flashing light and that silly thing like being caught suddenly the sun hitting something and it flashes into your eyes.

I wonder if you have astigmatism Blue? My sister and I have astigmatism - 'rugby' shaped eyes rather than 'football' shaped eyes (or is it lenses?). Anyway, light bothers them more, making them prone to things like migraines.

A funny story.... Went for the usual 3yr optical appt and it was a locum as mine was on hols. To cut the story short I have photophobia and she obviously didn't check my notes. In my notes it's written to use a low light, not a bright light.

She shone the light in my eye and it was instant reflex - I hit her
It was SO bloody painful too. I felt so sick and dizzy felt I was going to pass out.

I couldn't believe I hit her -

She understood and apologised for the strength of the light she used, but I tell you what I used to enjoy having my eyes tested, but since then, I'm on edge when I go now

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top