Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 03:59 PM

Don't you just hate updates?

...Waiting for them to complete.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 10:00 PM

Re: Don't you just hate updates?

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
...Waiting for them to complete.

What? Even Crapple do that as well?

If I could, I'd completely avoid Windows Updates.

What I detest is bloody pop-ups. If I knew how to, I disable them. I wouldn't mind it if they gave you the option of clicking them to make them appear.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Don't you just hate updates?
Nope.

I never take updates. Ever.

My release of Windows has never been updated since I bought the laptop years ago.

No issues, never had any problems. No viruses, malware, Trojans.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 01:04 PM

I am frightened of updates. If I get a lot together I start off and then lose my bottle and cancel.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 10:16 AM

Luckily, they don't seem to happen too often for my PC. My phone, tablet and watch, though, seem to regularly want to update.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 11:01 AM

There are those who don't download updates because they feel that "it will never happen to me".

Similarly, there are those that don't have medical checkups, for prostate Cancer, for heart rhythm, for blood pressure,for anything. I wonder if they are the same people?

"It'll never happen to me"

A large percentage of updates are sent because significant numbers of users are experiencing system problems which the manufacturers know will hurt the systems out there.

Ignore the fixes and you might not get a problem.

But note what happened to the health service and the Banks recently.

Many of their problems were preventable as there were update fixes available but which were not installed.

You might never have had a problem, so you feel that you don't need to get the fixes.

Good luck with that!

Note:- There were problems with W10 updates, early on, but they are getting them out, and installing, very smoothly now.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

09-05-2018, 08:42 AM

Oh, I always install them - they seem to be fixated on security and bugs rather than new features. It's just a bit of a pain sometimes. The updates for my watch take an hour or so during which time the watch must be charging and connected to my iPhone.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 09:17 AM

I get really fed up with updates, they take too long to download, more often than not they aren't for the better.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
There are those who don't download updates because they feel that "it will never happen to me".

Similarly, there are those that don't have medical checkups, for prostate Cancer, for heart rhythm, for blood pressure,for anything. I wonder if they are the same people?

"It'll never happen to me"

A large percentage of updates are sent because significant numbers of users are experiencing system problems which the manufacturers know will hurt the systems out there.

Ignore the fixes and you might not get a problem.

But note what happened to the health service and the Banks recently.

Many of their problems were preventable as there were update fixes available but which were not installed.

You might never have had a problem, so you feel that you don't need to get the fixes.

Good luck with that!

Note:- There were problems with W10 updates, early on, but they are getting them out, and installing, very smoothly now.

Yeah, all very poetic but not really the right interpretation there. It's not that some people feel "it will never happen to me", it's more that some people feel that they will take personal responsibility for their PC/laptops and more imortantly for their own health, rather than lazily devolve such matters to huge profit making conglomerates like Microsoft or Big Pharma.

The world changed long ago I'm afraid. With computing, you now have operating systems and software whose aim is to watch, track and record everything you do. The manufacturers continually refine their software and add tweaks to ensure people are streered down specific routes. For example the very nefarious way that MS put out a "forced W10 upgrade" using just the ordinary Windows Update facility. This buggered up a great many people's computers. It was totally underhand how MS approached this but clearly they don't care one jot, thet just want everyone on their latest platform which will have a ton more tracking and which will simply be a selling platform that will ultimately cost you more money. It will also give you farless control than previous Windows versions.

In line with this we now have Google deliberately blocking Google Maps from older versions of Internet Explorer. Those versions work fine, but Google are blocking them which of course has the effect of making everyone upgrade to later versions.

As I stated before, I have never taken a single Windows Update since I bought my laptop years and years ago. There hve been no problems whatsoever. I take personal responsibility for my PC security so I don't rely on MS updates. I have a massive list of blocked websites which I researched. It blocks all the tracking sites and advertising sites like Googleadservices. I have an equally large list of IP addresses which are also blocked. This prevents known tracking sites and malware sites from ever being able to get to my PC. I also have IP address redirects in my Hosts file which utterly blocks them. Then I mostly surf the internet with Javascript disabled which prevents websites from running background scripts to pull info form my PC or do bad things. And so on.

This is why your analogy is so very wrong. Those who sit back and think that MS are going to protect them with their Windows Security Updates are frankly deluded. They will get numerous problems and will be tracked everywhere they go.

Health is no different. It is important and so, like it or not, we have to take personal responsibility for it. It's hard work, it requires effort, perseverence and courage. You have to educate yourself, sift through wads of positive and negative articles, separate information from misinformation and work out for yourself the truth. I don't for a second believe I will never get ill. What I do believe is that my research and subsequent actions will minimise that risk hugely and that if I do get ill I will be able to treat myself using natural means, the very best course of action.

As with PC security, those who lazily devolve that responsibility to large conglomerates, Big Pharmaceuticals, the "health" services etc are going to come a real cropper. Those services exist for profit and there is no profit in healthy people. Plug yourself into that system (and system it is) and you'll find yourself on a long conveyor belt of pills, potions and treatments which endlessly cure one thing whilst creating a different problem that then also needs treatment, over and over until ultimately you find yourself totally debilitated and/or dependent on drugs with a poor quality of life.

You see it over and over. The vulnerable and uneducated still caught in the delusional Matrix of thinkng that the health services will fix them. They say things like "Oh, Fred has GOT to go into hospital on Monday to have such and such done" , "Wendy has GOT to go and have her whatever tested".

Actually NO !! Noone has GOT to do anything at all. That's all just strong social conditioning. Conditioning that means people treat GP's and the like as authority. What they say goes. Vulnerable people are unable to stand up to these people and just do as they are told, and then find themselves on that conveyorbelt.

I educated myself. It's a continual process. You learn a great deal I can tell you. Even the most simple things like how to properly deal with a fever, by leaving it alone rather than taking paracetamols etc. The impacts of following conventional health "wisdom" are dramatic and often hugely negative. The impacts of educating oneself and understanding the health properties of Nature are immense.

Good luck with your Windows 10 and Windows updates. You will need it! The entire platform will change once they have enough people hooked up to it imho.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

09-05-2018, 09:44 AM

I'm glad I've got a Mac - I'm not saying they're better than Windows machines, but everything seems simpler which suits me.

I briefly had a Lenovo touchscreen convertible Windows laptop last year and I found it needlessly complicated. I wasted £350 there because I could never get it running the way I wanted plus there were a ton of updates. Not that I'm thick, or a snob, but I prefer minimalism and owning all Apple products means that they all work well with each other.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top