Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:53 AM

Mobile phone camera

Ive got Samsung Galaxy 6 mobile but I managed to break the protective glass that goes over the rear camera lens. Its not caused me any problems till last week when suddenly four hazy grey spots have appeared.
Ive tried cleaning the lens and also blowing through it but the dirt inside just wont move.

Does anyone have any idea if the rear camera lens can be replaced, I know you can buy the protective glass but its the camera/,lens that is the problem, and if it can be replaced is it so expensive that I would be better getting another phone instead.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Re: Mobile phone camera

I think you would be better getting a new phone because having the camera module replaced will be more expensive than any screen replacement.

I take it that it is out of warranty? Could you perhaps put it on your household insurance?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 10:36 AM

Get a proper camera like a Nikon instead.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I take it that it is out of warranty? Could you perhaps put it on your household insurance?
Good point .....

That's how I cover mine.

https://www.lv.com/home-insurance/extras

Personal belongings cover away from home

" What happens if I lose my mobile phone out and about?”

These days, we carry hundreds of pounds worth of belongings around in our pockets and bags. It's all too easy to lose or damage something you're wearing or carrying while out and about. Add extended personal belongings cover to protect items worth up to £1,500 when you’re away from home. This optional cover includes:
  • Loss or damage to personal possessions while in the UK and Europe
  • Up to 60 days worldwide cover
  • Belongings like jewellery, watches, cameras, mobile phones, tablets and golf clubs
  • Money and credit cards up to £500
There is a limit of £1,500 per item. Any item worth more than this must be specified on the policy.
In my case, I am liable for the first £100 for a mobile phone (and most other possessions).
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I think you would be better getting a new phone because having the camera module replaced will be more expensive than any screen replacement.

Its actually a second hand phone given me by my DIL.
She used to get her work mobile replaced every other year and was allowed to keep the old one, which last year she passed on to me.

I think your right as it probably would cost more to repair. I'm going to have to buy another phone, I can just feel it.

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Get a proper camera like a Nikon instead.
I did think about that as the only other way for me to take photos is with my tablet but its a little unwieldy out and about.
But even if I did get a cheapish small digital camera one of the things I do a lot is take a quick photo and share it with my friends and family on my WhatsApp on my mobile.
I suppose if I did get a small compact digital camera, dont know much about this, I could get some sort of lead to connect to my mobile to send photos by email, WhatsApp and MMS?
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 05:36 PM

just get an ordinary phone that takes pic!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mondays child
United Kingdom

08-05-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
just get an ordinary phone that takes pic!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes but I would be lost without my smartphone.

Its my,
Alarm clock
Reminder to take medications and what I should be taking
My planner for things I need to do
My calendar and events reminder
My list maker of shopping I need
My clock
My email
My text
My YouTube player
My music playlist player with my ear buds in
My internet searcher when I'm out and about
My WhatsApp I use to keep in touch with family and friends, and share messages and photo's
My camera that goes everywhere with me.
Oh and I make and receive phone calls on it.
😀
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 09:01 PM

well get anoer one of those then you have answered your own question of what to get
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 08:28 AM

I'm going to be heavily reliant on my smartphone when I'm in hospital the next few days.

Ebook reader
Mp3 player
Browser
Calls and messages
Banking app
Chess game
Video player and camera if I decide to take any shots.
Calendar

A small, dedicated camera is good at what it does but it's very much a one-trick pony.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

09-05-2018, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Its actually a second hand phone given me by my DIL.
She used to get her work mobile replaced every other year and was allowed to keep the old one, which last year she passed on to me.

I think your right as it probably would cost more to repair. I'm going to have to buy another phone, I can just feel it.

I did think about that as the only other way for me to take photos is with my tablet but its a little unwieldy out and about.
But even if I did get a cheapish small digital camera one of the things I do a lot is take a quick photo and share it with my friends and family on my WhatsApp on my mobile.
I suppose if I did get a small compact digital camera, dont know much about this, I could get some sort of lead to connect to my mobile to send photos by email, WhatsApp and MMS?
Many cameras have wi-fi these days as a way of transferring photos to your computer or the cloud, but I doubt any have a dedicated WhatsApp app. And it would probably cost more than a phone. You can get some very capable android phones these days between £100 and £200...I'd be looking at one of those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top