Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 11:53 PM

Re: selling up and renting?

think our houses make money for others when we pop off and not after struggling hard to buy and maintain the thing?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
think our houses make money for others when we pop off and not after struggling hard to buy and maintain the thing?
I get where you are coming from

We do have plans of selling up eventually and spending the profit, but we will be buying a small apartment or house to live in. Renting privately leaves you open to having to move again and again and no council on earth will house us having sold

If you need the money from your property then look at equity release. Friends of ours did this, sold half their house a few years ago now. Norman just died last week and his wife had died two years ago. The bank now will force the sale of the house and take their half - which is considerable. Even with the daughter only getting the other half, it still leaves her getting a good inheritance
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Do you honestly think an council will put her on the top of the housing list. If you think that your are living in dream world. She more than likely be offered a hotel room for a night and that is it, she is then on her own.

There are far more deserving causes than someone making themselves deliberately homeless, she stands no chance
Where is wanting to get a council flat mentioned in the post you replied to?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
A lady who I knew through another friend decided to sell her house and rent , she wanted to travel the world and she did. Her intention was that when she reached pension age and had £16,000 left the government would have to pay her rent and council tax as she would be entitled to benefits .

It is something I've thought about possibly going into an over 50s retirement flat paying the full rent using my pension and having the money from the sale of the house to holiday with . Like many it's a case of asset rich and money poor .
I know someone who has done this .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I might consider this if and when my little sister moves to Norfolk. I have thought of renting somewhere for six months, get the flat emptied and done up, new floor coverings etc., and put it up for sale. If it doesn’t, then I’ll come back. If it does, then I’ll have some capital to buy a little property outright. Or I might stay renting. But I’d like to give it a try and look upon it as a nice long holiday. Hopefully near the sea.
A good plan you can get a good feel for the area .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Do you honestly think an council will put her on the top of the housing list. If you think that your are living in dream world. She more than likely be offered a hotel room for a night and that is it, she is then on her own.

There are far more deserving causes than someone making themselves deliberately homeless, she stands no chance
The lady I mentioned did this when she was around 55 ish , I know she rented a one bedroom flat and was travelling . I don't know the ins and outs of her life but it was thought the state would pay the rent on the flat when her money dropped . I guess she's paying full rent and has been for years . I think she will have a shock if when the time comes the state refuses to pay for her .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top