Join for free
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 01:27 PM

Blood transfusions

Have you ever had one or given blood?

I must have had 4 now - only 1 unit though one was 2 units as I didn't have enough red blood cells due to the chemotherapy.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 01:34 PM

Re: Blood transfusions

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Have you ever had one or given blood?

I must have had 4 now - only 1 unit though one was 2 units as I didn't have enough red blood cells due to the chemotherapy.

Yes matey I was a blood DONOR for 30 odd years, and then last year I had to have FIVE bags of blood Plasma to boost my red platelet count.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 01:40 PM

To be a blood donor I think you have to be on no medication of any sort, correct me if I'm wrong.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
To be a blood donor I think you have to be on no medication of any sort, correct me if I'm wrong.

That is perfectly correct and at the time I was'nt taking any medication. NBTS compulsorily 'retired' me fifteen years ago because my COPD was 'unstable'.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 01:45 PM

Ffosse I gave blood for many yeras and only stopped when
they changed the times and venue making it difficult for me to get there.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 03:09 PM

I used to give blood on a regular basis.

My son-in-law gives bone marrow regularly, a much less pleasant procedure than merely giving blood.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 03:35 PM

My mother had a three unit transfusion in March when it was discovered she was severely anemic.

It was slow, but she felt much stronger and less wobbly after having it done. Here, you have to be hospitalized for the procedure because of a clinically significant chance - 10% - of a reaction.

Good luck! I imagine you'll find some overall improvement in your energy a few days afterwards.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2018, 06:58 PM

I had six units of blood before they could do my cancer op. Both my daughter and d-i-l are blood donors and have been for years. Even my daughter’s Retriever is a blood donor for other dogs at their local vets. My daughter is also on the Bone Marrow donation list too.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

15-05-2018, 07:11 PM

I've had bone marrow taken, I wonder if it's a similar level of discomfort to donate it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top