Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 07:18 PM

Do you remember having to be quiet in the library?

I do - talking was disallowed and would earn you a stern shhhhh! from the librarian.

Nowadays they're like a free for all internet cafe/children's play area, a refuge for the mentally ill. And they're noisy.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 07:22 PM

Re: Do you remember having to be quiet in the library?

yeah, people used to go there to study, another example of how things have changed.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 07:35 PM

Yes, years ago, when I joined the library you had to be 8 years of age and know how to behave. In our local library there is often an old man asleep in one of the comfy chairs. He is homeless but refuses to accept help.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 07:58 PM

yes I remember it and I loved it.

I used to go to a large old library in Leicester and I loved the peace and quiet. I would often go there in my lunch hour and browse and choose books or just sit quietly. There would be people who had clearly just come in for some warmth in winter and some to read the newspapers for free.

I love everything about books and one of my favourite games as a child was playing libraries and pretending to stamp books.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Libraries are just children's playgrounds now. Some of them have groups of kids singing songs. Our local library moved last year to a new building. there are now half the amount of books and more space for children's activities, Can't parents teach their kids at home instead?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 09:02 PM

Oh I used to love the library as a child and always entered the reading competition during the school holidays

It was a joy to sit in air conditioned silence ( esp in 76) and just read

Libraries have changed, they have to to survive. So many have closed through lack of foot fall

If using them for other groups keeps them open, Im all for it
Newcomer
Dorset
Newcomer is female  Newcomer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 09:12 PM

I remember the first time I went to a library. The lady who was taking my details before she would let me look for a book to to do my homework made me hold out my hands to see if they were clean.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 09:34 PM

I guess I am unusual in that I've always hated libraries. I totally love book shops but the library used to be so oppressive. The only library I loved was the one at university where I had to do research. But in general thanks but no thanks.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 09:38 PM

The Library was a great place, more sanctimonious than a Church, no self respecting thug would show his face in there.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2018, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Newcomer ->
I remember the first time I went to a library. The lady who was taking my details before she would let me look for a book to to do my homework made me hold out my hands to see if they were clean.
Do you know what? I can remember that too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top