Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Blood in urine

I went to the doctors this morning as I'm having problems with a little bit of bleeding and discharges. I took a urine sample with me and the doctor tested it and said "there's quite alot of blood in your urine". She's sent it away to be tested for a urine infection, in the meantime she's given me a prescription for Macrodantin (Nitrofurantoin) capsules. I've read the patient sheet that comes with them and it's an antibiotic to prevent and treat infections of the bladder, kidney and other parts of the urinary tract.

I'm just a bit worried. Has anyone else ever had alot of blood in their urine?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Re: Blood in urine

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
I went to the doctors this morning as I'm having problems with a little bit of bleeding and discharges. I took a urine sample with me and the doctor tested it and said "there's quite alot of blood in your urine". She's sent it away to be tested for a urine infection, in the meantime she's given me a prescription for Macrodantin (Nitrofurantoin) capsules. I've read the patient sheet that comes with them and it's an antibiotic to prevent and treat infections of the bladder, kidney and other parts of the urinary tract.

I'm just a bit worried. Has anyone else ever had alot of blood in their urine?
Hi Alison yes when I had cystitis/ urinary tract infections which I used to get regularly I had blood in my urine .
I am not sure what you mean by a 'discharge' this is usually 'a vaginal thing' . Did your doctor take a swab. If she is unsure where the blood is coming from she may have prescribed antibiotics as a precaution while awaiting the results of the test on the sample/ swab?
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2012, 06:20 PM

no never good luck with that you did trhe best thing going to see your docter
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2012, 07:18 PM

As said Alicat, you did the best thing in going to the doctor and taking the urine sample with you. I reckon the doc thinks it's an infection, as he has given you antibiotics. The test results will soon be back, so good luck.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Yes. I had cystitis and there was blood in my urine too. Always best to get thing checked if there is any sign of blood.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2012, 09:02 PM

Same here when I had cystitis, blood shows in the urine. Good luck with the test results Alicat.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2012, 09:07 PM

Thanks for your replies. Yes Meg, the doctor took a swab about a month ago when I last had a urinary infection, the swab came back clear so that's good news.

I don't have any burning or any other symptoms which is a bit worrying. I have a Mirena coil so that's problems in itself although upto now I haven't had any problems at all the two and a half years I've had it .

I'm glad a few of you have had urine in your blood as well, it makes me feel a bit better. Anyway we'll see what my urine sample test shows when the doctor gets back the results.

Did you know it's best to put the urine sample in the fridge if you can't get it to the doctor within the hour I never knew that. I took my urine sample at 5.20 this morning, didn't put it in the fridge, my doctors appointment was 9.50 am but didn't get in to see her until 10.15 am so I expect the sample is useless now.
Alicat
West Berkshire

22-02-2012, 09:11 PM

This is interesting:

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/how-shou...CategoryID=692
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Yes, I did know about putting the sample in the fridge. As it was only around 5 hours, it should be ok. If not, they'll just ask for another one from you.
Alicat
West Berkshire

22-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Berxer ->
Yes, I did know about putting the sample in the fridge. As it was only around 5 hours, it should be ok. If not, they'll just ask for another one from you.
Thanks Berxer, you think the doctor would have asked if it had been kept in the fridge as I did tell her I took it at 5.20 this morning.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top