Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 10:32 AM

Re: Elderly Exercise?

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Managed to run with the club this evening ...

Shot taken at Sker beach.

Eating some veggies and bread now. Not a drop of booze in sight.
Well done. Looks great
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 11:09 AM

Quite excited about getting back in shape and being light on my feet once more.
Well done that man! I reckon one of the best aspects of staying in fairly good shape is maybe not that it's possible to run or ride these distances with an increasing amount of ease. For me anyway, it's almost a by-product of keeping fit. It means more energy in reserve for everyday tasks. For instance, carrying things about or walking to the shops and back without it taking too long. More zest available for just about anything.

My better half is in a wheelchair and me staying fit definitely benefits both of us. I'm more able to handle the associated heaving about and other things, such as pushing or walking for miles. It all makes for an improved quality of life.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 11:10 AM

I'm hoping to take up cycling at some point, or rather, staying upright on my bike, but not on the roads. I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to cycle in traffic.
First I plan on selling my current mountain bike, because it's an awkward design and I shall look around for something lighter and more manoeverable.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I'm hoping to take up cycling at some point, or rather, staying upright on my bike, but not on the roads. I don't think I'd ever be brave enough to cycle in traffic.
First I plan on selling my current mountain bike, because it's an awkward design and I shall look around for something lighter and more maneuverable.
Good idea. These days NOT cycling in traffic is probably also a damn good idea. I have cycling friends and they all have horror stories about being knocked over. Some, now, only cycling off-road, away from traffic.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 12:14 PM

Good idea. These days NOT cycling in traffic is probably also a damn good idea. I have cycling friends and they all have horror stories about being knocked over. Some, now, only cycling off-road, away from traffic.
I have a friend who quite often encounters 'rogue' hedges lol
I believe this usually happens when he's returning from the pub.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 12:17 PM

First I plan on selling my current mountain bike, because it's an awkward design and I shall look around for something lighter and more manoeverable.
Sounds good Rachel. If you're like me, there are lots of cycle tracks not too far away. I'd be terrified in traffic too
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Just use the same rules as when driving a car, hold your nerve and you'll be OK. Always indicate and no sneaking up on the inside of traffic. Get a handlebar mirror too. An invaluable addition.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

31-05-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
Sounds good Rachel. If you're like me, there are lots of cycle tracks not too far away. I'd be terrified in traffic too
Hmmmm ... sadly getting to somewhere I consider 'safe' would mean driving but Windsor Great Park isn't too far from here. OH and I used to go there and cycle through the Deer Park and there is now a small 'nature reserve' park even nearer. Unsure if cycling is allowed ...
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

31-05-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Just use the same rules as when driving a car, hold your nerve and you'll be OK. Always indicate and no sneaking up on the inside of traffic. Get a handlebar mirror too. An invaluable addition.

Ah yes a mirror is a great idea .. I can check my lippy as I go

Seriously, I'm so useless that the mere thought of not having 2 hands on the handlebars fills me with dread
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

31-05-2015, 01:06 PM

Ah yes a mirror is a great idea .. I can check my lippy as I go
A definite advantage.

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top