Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2013, 10:46 PM

Re: Nursing Home costs - You will still have to pay!

What Arthur has posted is a bit nearer to what may be possible for some people than might be thought.
This is a true story.
We had a chap in hospital who had no relatives to care for him and was not able to be completely independent if discharged home. A "residential" care home was assessed as fulfilling his need, but rather than go into a "residential" home he discharged himself and went into a hotel of his choice to live -full board. It didn't go down well, but he did not have full "nursing home" needs at that time, as his assessment indicated - but he was frail physically and did require some nursing input.
He ended up with regular district nurse/community nurse visiting input to take care of his specific nursing needs (which is free at home (or hotel:lol - for those who need it) and his housekeeping needs (food, room, cleaning, etc.) he paid for and the hotel provided. He did quite well living this way for quite a while. He was not on his own in the hotel and he retained his independence as well as living somewhere of his choice and a place he wanted to be.
If a person's needs are residential care and they are not assessed as nursing care this could work for some people if they have the money.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Hi Rena,
Hope I will be in a position to be able to do that !
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 01:44 PM

The only way to receive full state help with nursing or residential care is to have no assets to your name.

That brings us back to your assets at present?

If you have a clever lawyer or solicitor they can help you (at a price) to funnel your money elsewhere.

Your house can be placed in trust or if you are on good terms with your offspring it can be signed over to them?

However if you fall out you could find yourself in deep trouble.

There is no easy answer?

The cruise ship or hotel story is a little bit fanciful and would only work if you still had your faculties and be able to move about without too much assistance?

Alzheimer's and Dementia are on the increase and you might have hidden medication to end it all at a future date?

(You will not remember where you carefully hid the tablets?)
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 04:46 PM

It's easy - just transfer 50% of your home into another member of your family or a charity with you maintaining a "lifetime" interest, meaning you can stay in your own home, they can't sell it or mortgage it without your permission and as you have a lifetime interest, with their signature you can sell it and move somewhere else. As far as I know as long as you can prove this wasn't to get out of paying your dues the state can't do anything.

Just out of interest why are people opposed to paying for their old-age care?

It seems to me people are appalled by tax evasion/avoidance, benefit fraudsters, the obese and dangerous dogs etc ... but are seeking ways of getting out of paying for their care when they get old, why should the state pay your "hotel" costs?

I'm not trying to be controversial - so polite answers only please!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Baxter asked
"Just out of interest why are people opposed to paying for their old-age care?"

I personally think it is because some people are required to pay whilst others don't pay. Those who have saved, bought their own homes and tried to keep themselves and family independent - frequently going without things to do it are penalised. Another person might have a different lifestyle - spending everything they have throughout their lives, never having the foresight to save or buy their own home. Then they will have their care provided free of charge because they have nothing put by. It is the lack of equity in the system which is wrong.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 09:44 AM

It's an unfortunate fact of life isn't it that the financially cautious have to pay for the financially uncautious? I cannot see the alternative, we can't afford to pay for the aging population's care (can we?) and we cannot condemn those that have been less financially responsible to work-house conditions in their twilight years.

I never had children but through my taxes had to pay for the education of other people's children but always considered it a price worth paying for the greater good. I have never committed a crime but have to pay for the prison costs of those that have etc... all for the greater good and the comfort of living in a civilised society.

It's a conundrum.

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Baxter asked
"Just out of interest why are people opposed to paying for their old-age care?"

I personally think it is because some people are required to pay whilst others don't pay. Those who have saved, bought their own homes and tried to keep themselves and family independent - frequently going without things to do it are penalised. Another person might have a different lifestyle - spending everything they have throughout their lives, never having the foresight to save or buy their own home. Then they will have their care provided free of charge because they have nothing put by. It is the lack of equity in the system which is wrong.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 09:52 AM

You could always get yourself thrown in jail, 3 meals a day and all your health needs covered etc but no good just robbing or assaulting someone as you'll probably only get a slap on the wrist, try defrauding the 'guvmnt' that'll get you in
Baxter8
Somerset

23-02-2013, 09:58 AM

I'm busy today - but have some spare time tomorrow, so might follow your advice, but then my poor dog would have to be rehomed, couldn't bear that.

Originally Posted by maggis ->
You could always get yourself thrown in jail, 3 meals a day and all your health needs covered etc but no good just robbing or assaulting someone as you'll probably only get a slap on the wrist, try defrauding the 'guvmnt' that'll get you in
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2013, 10:29 AM

Oh well, no, can't have that can we, have to think of something else then
In some movies I've seen involving folk who live on cruise ships there always seems to be a wee dog around ,I wonder if it was the ships pet or can you have a pet with you? if I won enough money I'd love to live on a ship but only if my furbabies could come too
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by maggis ->
No Maggis darlin' - not true, they make you a banker and give you huge pay rises and bonuses. hey may even bump you into the 'House of Lords' or give you a knighthood.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top