Join for free
Page 62 of 1676 « First < 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 562 1062 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 09:50 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Jem. I should have explained that. inspired by your Dickensian quote, I have copied my favourite book opening lines. Can you guess which book?
I was just looking through a few famous opening lines RJ, quite amusing, You are so widely read it would be impossible to guess your favourite so I give in straight away. Here are a couple that made me smile.
“The Sun shone, having no alternative, on nothing new” Samuel Beckett’s “Murphy” in 1938, sounds very depressing to me, never read it, seems like the ideal book for potential suicides.
How about this classic opening “I am an Invisible Man” Ralph Ellison, “Invisible Man” 1952, talk about stating the bleeding obvious.
I’ll guess based on your wicked sense of humour RJ, Iain M. Banks book of 1992 “The Crow Road” it opens “It was the day my grandfather exploded”

I think our good friend Pug might be busy on the road this weather, he usually drops in when he gets the chance.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 10:05 PM

You need balance, no matter what, watching "Gogglebox", events on there took place over several weeks, it took the wife to point out, all the observers had the same clothing on, one is lucky, to have someone so perceptive, to be watching out.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 10:06 PM

it is easy to miss stuff.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
it is easy to miss stuff.
Who is Miss Stuff?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 11:55 PM

Oh, that reminds me of a brick I dropped. I was greeted by a lady buyer, female, many moons ago when I worked for GRACE BROTHERS. I hardly knew her & foolishly guessed her name,
"How lovely to see you, Miss Wind" I offered confidently "Nearly right Bob, it's Bagg actually"

I should have followed my own advice, as explained below.
Tip.
When unsure of some ones name start with
"Good day, I'm sorry but I can't recall your name"

They might reply with their Christian, oops FIRST name as DAVEY & you reply DAVEY, silly boy I know that your name is Davey(Got 1st name). I meant your 2nd name.

(p.o.p. ennit)
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2016, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Who is Miss Stuff?
stuffed if he knows - he'll be stuffed if he does and stuffed if he don't.

I once had a relationship with a stuffed turkey - got the hand in but couldn't get it out - we swung around for ages! talk about swingin scenes.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2016, 12:59 AM

This may interest you RJ - reading the Great Controversy between Christ and Satan by Ellen G White at the moment who among other things explains why the Sabbath was always originally on Saturday and not Sunday!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2016, 11:43 AM

"I once had a relationship with a stuffed turkey" Quote Gumbud

I'm relieved to say I was never that hard up Gumbud.

We actually had a Miss Stuphing working in the office, that was how she spelled it but it was pronounced Stuffing, she used to get a friendly slagging when she had to come into the all male workshop, especially at Christmas time, but she was a good sport and took it all in her stride, she was well liked by all the lads. She married and her name changed, so you could say the Stuffing was knocked out of her, Oh God Jem that's really scraping the barrel.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-08-2016, 12:15 PM

A post I read in another section brought something to mind, and this is true.
Every Friday night I would go to my Dads favourite pub for a few pints and a laugh, one regular in that pub was a devil for asking personal questions, I don’t like or trust folks who ask too many unnecessary personal questions, my Dad always tried to avoid this chap but he always managed to end up at the same table we would sit at spoiling the later part of the evening. I got an idea and when I had a bit of spare time in the workshop I made up a round silver badge (about the size of an old shilling) I engraved the Family crest on it and at the top the letters M.Y.O.F.B. The next time we went to the pub yerman comes over and keeps staring at the badge on my coat lapel, “Nice badge Jem, tell me what does the MYOFB stand for?” My moment of glory had arrived “Mind Your Own F…… Business” I beamed back at him, we were left in piece after that. I gave the badge to my Dad and he always wore it whenever we went out together.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

04-08-2016, 10:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvOgAPa_mkw

This could happen to anyone.

Page 62 of 1676 « First < 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 562 1062 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top