Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Re: Female child abuse

Erineceous said : --- but we can at the very least substantially reduce their number and every single one that can be prevented is a life saved from involuntary mutilation.

No we wont, we will only drive it further underground.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Are you in any way active in stamping out this horrendous practice?

How would you go about identifying the girls at risk and what steps could be taken to prevent the mutilation?

I can see that prosecutions could be brought against the parents, once the horror has been inflicted and it comes to light. But that is too late for those children.

The practice is despicable and I can't imagine what those poor girls go through.

I can see you feel very strongly about stamping it out, so whatever you are doing to help those girls, if anything, can only be commended.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Are you in any way active in stamping out this horrendous practice?

How would you go about identifying the girls at risk and what steps could be taken to prevent the mutilation?

I can see that prosecutions could be brought against the parents, once the horror has been inflicted and it comes to light. But that is too late for those children.

The practice is despicable and I can't imagine what those poor girls go through.

I can see you feel very strongly about stamping it out, so whatever you are doing to help those girls, if anything, can only be commended.
This is my or rather our because my wife is with me on this charity of choice.

http://orchidproject.org/what-we-do/how-can-you-help/
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2012, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Erineceous said : --- but we can at the very least substantially reduce their number and every single one that can be prevented is a life saved from involuntary mutilation.

No we wont, we will only drive it further underground.
So is your answer to do NOTHING? And even if it IS driven underground that will at least reduce numbers and know what?

Even if by driving it underground it saves only one child, maybe 0,000005 % of the total per year in France and GB, for that child it reptresents 100% protection from harm.

In the well known words of Burke "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Erinaceous ->
This is my or rather our because my wife is with me on this charity of choice.

http://orchidproject.org/what-we-do/how-can-you-help/
The United Nations, along with other bodies are at the forefront to rid the world of this abomination, so how come it is on your list of things you would like to see banned?
Erinaceous
East Anglia

12-09-2012, 12:17 PM

The UN is less than useless because it is long on words but VERY short on action. Especially when something that (usually) the USA don't like at which point they invoke their veto.

The UN was put together to deal with the menace presented by the USSR against the West and in that it ensured that the war that communism waged against the West was conducted in third party countries it was a success. Today the war that is being faced is of a different nature with a different enemy, and in that war all the UN has become is mostly a market where votes are traded for favours, or where Security Council members (mostly) the USA use their veto to prevent a great many resolutions either being watered down or abandoned.

Even when resolutions do see the light of day often means nothing. Take "Israel". Over 200 UN resolutions simply ignored.

So that's why I believe that the UN should be abandoned and in its place something that addresses todays problems and a place where rogue states have no place at the table.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2012, 01:44 PM

The UN was put together to deal with the menace presented by the USSR against the West and in that it ensured that the war that communism waged against the West was conducted in third party countries it was a success.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. We have got our history somewhat mixed again Dieter haven't we??? The United Nations was established, not to control the USSR, since they too have a permanent seat at the Security Council and the right of veto. The United Nations was established to ensure that no one country could in future do what Nazi Germany did between 1933 - 1945.

I wonder why your historical pronouncements are so selectively amiss???
mesco m
manchester

12-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Erinaceous ->
The UN is less than useless because it is long on words but VERY short on action. Especially when something that (usually) the USA don't like at which point they invoke their veto.

The UN was put together to deal with the menace presented by the USSR against the West and in that it ensured that the war that communism waged against the West was conducted in third party countries it was a success. Today the war that is being faced is of a different nature with a different enemy, and in that war all the UN has become is mostly a market where votes are traded for favours, or where Security Council members (mostly) the USA use their veto to prevent a great many resolutions either being watered down or abandoned.

Even when resolutions do see the light of day often means nothing. Take "Israel". Over 200 UN resolutions simply ignored.

So that's why I believe that the UN should be abandoned and in its place something that addresses todays problems and a place where rogue states have no place at the table.
That is not the issue here. The issue is about FGM. The UN is not without influence in these issues. You seem to know little about the charity that you support, or that the support of the UN is crucial to it.

And why on earth do you keep on bringing up Israel at every opportunity. You do seem to have a problem with Jews.
Erinaceous
East Anglia

13-09-2012, 08:35 AM

There are a number of bodies associated with the UN who do, or who attempt to do a good job but all to varying degrees shackled by the General Assembly and / or the security council.

Jews? Not particularly on the basis of their beliefs, and when it comes to ethnicity they are now far too interbred with non-jews for there to be a true jew ethnicity.

What I DO have a dislike for is “Israel”.

A “nation state” built on stolen land achieved by terrorism and past blackmail. A “nation state” that practices apartheid rule over the legitimate people of the land, a”nation state” that only by the military power and financial support from the US manages to survive.

“Israel” is an anachronism that should never have come into existence,.

It was forced on the people of the region, and it was created in direct contradiction to assurances made to the Arab people by the British government via T.E Lawrence as the effective British ambassador in order to get the Arab people “on-song” in the war against the Axis powers. It was “legitimised” because of terrorism committed against the legitimate owners of the land and and the US unilateral recognition.

It wasn't just the IRA that US based groups surreptitiously armed, often (most;ly) with the government at least turning a blind eye towards.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2012, 08:57 AM

Gawd blimey Erineceous you are digging a hole for yourself.
You and Jonesy are very much alike, love arguing, not for me, I am out of here.
I don't like knocking my head against a brick wall.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top