Join for free
Page 10 of 48 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 01:20 AM

Re: France is right to ban the Burkini

Its less that than a cultural tradition certainly not anything to do with Catholicism- all Christian countries used to shut shops on a Sunday.
France is allowed some cultural traditions i suppose?
Most people on an over 50s forum will remember when the UK had Sunday closing and the UK has not been a catholic country for centuries.
Personally I quite like the idea of Sunday closing.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 01:29 AM

But that is not a secular Country then is it?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 01:32 AM

Yes it is a secular country.
Secular countries still may have traditions.
Anyway all shops are not closed on a Sunday in France you can still get your baguette and pasties from the boulangeries and newspapers from the corner shops.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Seriously...please take the time to read this http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7208326.html

the woman who designed the burkini as a garment to FREE women of all nationalities and religions and enable them to have fun!

The woman who invented the burkini has said French authorities have misunderstood why the swimsuit was created and urged them not to turn it into a symbol of division.
“Why do women have to be punished for wearing something that represents freedom, and health, fitness and enjoyment?”
Exactly it could be a way to integrate people, interestingly I see integrated to some means copy not live with as it does to me.
Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Don't goad me
I have restrained from retaliating to so many of your insults
I didn't want to lower myself to your level

In private, I have had so many messages of support
That makes me think that people mostly disagree with you and your childish undermining tactics, but are scared to say so on a public forum in fear of your bullying behaviour

Please do not assume I don't know about things
Do not underestimate my knowledge
Based on your preconceptions of me or whatever it is

But if you continue to insult me
I will respond
Well I'm scared of no one I agree with you.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Don't goad me
I have restrained from retaliating to so many of your insults
I didn't want to lower myself to your level

In private, I have had so many messages of support
That makes me think that people mostly disagree with you and your childish undermining tactics, but are scared to say so on a public forum in fear of your bullying behaviour

Please do not assume I don't know about things
Do not underestimate my knowledge
Based on your preconceptions of me or whatever it is

But if you continue to insult me
I will respond
Rhian I am very suprised at your post Morty is certainly not a bully nor does she insult people.
Her posts are intelligent and perceptive even if one does not agree .
That is what discussion is all about we don't all agree with each other.
Why on earth would people be 'scared' on an easy going internet forum like OFF ?
phil43
New Member!
Bath,UK
phil43 is male 

26-08-2016, 09:26 AM

I am constantly told that women under Islam do not have the same freedoms as others but I do not get this message clearly from the women themselves .
I can see that if they are indeed repressed then they would find it difficult to speak out , but we need to get a much clearer message from the Muslim community about their reasons and beliefs.
Generally speaking I am stunned by the pure silence from this source whenever these issues arise.
They really need to get the west to understand what they are all about or we will continue to think that Islam is a religion of extremists
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 09:45 AM

I presume the ban is extended to all, not just muslim women but western women too who go to the beach dressed in a burkini. Nobody has to agree with laws and rules, no matter what country they live in or visit, but the fact remains laws and rules are there, break them and get caught, take the punishment. As far as I´m concerned it really is that simple.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 09:48 AM

Normally I would agree however for me the difference is we are telling a woman to take clothing off, it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth to think anyone can be forced to remove clothes. Where will it end, burkinis today, long skirts, long sleeved garments next ? We really have to think what we are starting here.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 09:52 AM

Sarcozy is calling for a nationwide ban on these strange garments which were only invented fairly recently (2004) so presumably people managed without them previously

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nationwide-ban
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-08-2016, 10:03 AM

People managed without many things we don't ban them all, if we doc we'd still be in furs and skins.
We want people to integrate is the way to do that to ban their clothes ? Stop them going to the beach or swimming pool ?

Page 10 of 48 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top