Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:31 PM

Sleeping in separate rooms

The comments on the bathroom thread got me thinking about this. Why some couples sleep apart. Mr Clumsy and I sleep in separate rooms and have done for many years. Here are some reasons why.

Mr Clumsy was always an early to bed man, he had to be up at silly o clock times, sometimes off to work at 2 a.m. I'm not, and never have been, an early to bed person, so me going to bed later would always disturb him.

Mr Clumsy is also a "violent" sleeper, legs kicking out, never just turned over, always sort of bounced over, he's a big man, I'm small and lightweight so I was sleeping on a trampoline.

I like to read in bed, I couldn't do that either because the light annoyed him.

Mr Clumsy doesn't snore, he sounds more like a wallowing Hippopotamus, it's certainly not snoring. He also gets up a couple of times during the night making cups of tea and stamping around like a herd of elephants. In the mornings his bed looks like a disaster zone. Mine looks as if it hasn't been slept in, I'm mostly a peaceful sleeper.

I also was not happy at having my legs pinned down by a pair of heavy legs crashing about on top of my legs, and once even woken up, in pain, as a heavy arm literally crashed onto my face.

So separate rooms it became, result a much happier me, as I could actually get some sleep, and presumably a happier Mr Clumsy who can bounce around to his heart's content.

I should add, I never had this problem with my first husband, he too was a quiet sleeper and he too liked to read in bed, so there wasn't a problem sleep wise.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:35 PM

Re: Sleeping in separate rooms

As I said before we decided to have separate rooms as he snores, and I kick the duvet on and off. I prefer a bed to myself anyway, I dislike the body heat of someone next to me.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:39 PM

The best thing we ever did was get separate rooms.........in separate houses.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Before my husband died we had separate rooms for around 7 years. The reasons are....

He worked nights and I worked days. That was fine during the week, bed to myself, but at weekends I would invariably get woken up by him snoring and it didn't matter what I did I couldn't shut him up. So I would always end up in the spare room. Eventually I just started going straight in there without trying to sleep in with him.

Then I noticed that during the week when I slept in our bed my back would hurt but not when I slept in the spare room so I moved into the spare room permanently.

Another thing that drove me mad was he allowed the dog on the bed which was ok if he was on his own but when you have 2 adults and a Goldie in 1 double bed there just isn't enough room.

Even when he stayed on the floor I would wake up in the middle of the night and he'd have his head on the side of the bed, staring at me and panting, or the noise he made licking his nuts would wake me up.

And the damn dog was noisy too
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Before my husband died we had separate rooms for around 7 years. The reasons are....

He worked nights and I worked days. That was fine during the week, bed to myself, but at weekends I would invariably get woken up by him snoring and it didn't matter what I did I couldn't shut him up. So I would always end up in the spare room. Eventually I just started going straight in there without trying to sleep in with him.

Then I noticed that during the week when I slept in our bed my back would hurt but not when I slept in the spare room so I moved into the spare room permanently.

Another thing that drove me mad was he allowed the dog on the bed which was ok if he was on his own but when you have 2 adults and a Goldie in 1 double bed there just isn't enough room.

Even when he stayed on the floor I would wake up in the middle of the night and he'd have his head on the side of the bed, staring at me and panting, or the noise he made licking his nuts would wake me up.

I was just about to ask about why your husband slept on the floor, when I noticed your comment.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Husband gets up to start work at 4am, goes to bed at 8.30pm, I don't get home from work until 8.30-9pm and am not up until I need to be in the morning. We both keep each other awake snoring, and both have problems with pain at night so moving around were hurting each other. So better to have separate beds, we did that for years before we had separate rooms, that came about when grace came to us, we had to make it possible to have four adults and a child in the flat with varying sleep times.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 12:56 PM

The most important thing about sleeping arrangements is that both partners are in agreement about them, as we are.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->

This has to be the funniest thing I have read in a long time.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 03:37 PM

Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 03:59 PM

Nicol, that was hilarious.

I would like to sleep apart because of the snoring, the man can inhale the drapes, but if we slept separate I would stay awake anyway worrying if he was not breathing....a couple of prior heart attacks have put me on high alert.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top