Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2013, 09:16 PM

Re: Central Heating

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Some residents here still have economy seven meters, we had ours taken out a few years ago and went back to a normal meter as it seemed unfair to us running a washing machine over night in a flat. Not that it has stopped some neighbours in any way.
We have E7 in our flats and the people above me have cottoned on to this. The woman on the top flat admitted that she did it but when I happened to mention I could hear it she agreed to stop. I asked how she could sleep with it! She just said she closed her doors. Our flats have very poor sound insulation and if I can hear her machine 2 floors down, why can't she hear it herself? There is no way I would run my machine in the middle of the night. Heck, I could hear a pin drop! The wash cycle is ok: it's the spinning that goes on forever.

Our heating and hot water is controlled by E7 too.

If I could outlaw two things, it would be running washing machines in the night and of course laminate flooring.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2013, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ophelia ->

Oh Dear, I had better shut up - I will boring everyone senseless!!

Lia
Not at all - that is some very useful advice, thank you
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ophelia ->
Mollie

I used to work in the energy industry.

I know that lots of people worry about heating bills, and that they can be very frightening.

The 6 big suppliers however can be very reasonable - it is not good press for them to have customers who die of hypothermia!

My advice to any customer who was worried was to put their heating on and keep it on as needed. In the event a big bill comes in, or if you are on direct debit, your payments are reassessed much higher - talk to the company. Ask for customer services and tell THEM, how much you can afford to pay.

Although they will not want you to incur further debt - they should be very reasonable about payment. We worked hard with all the big suppliers to ensure they improved their customer service and especially looked after their older or vulnerable customers.

I hope this helps.

Lia
Thanks Lia, but the cost of running my central heating isn't the issue, As I said in my first post, my boiler is 40 years old and has now been put AT RISK, so I am choosing not to use it again for safety's sake, and I can't afford to buy a new one, but thank you for the valuable information you've supplied for others.

I have back-up plans so I will most definitely not be succumbing to hypothermia. I was highlighting the fact that those who are, and who are not entitled to a new boiler, is unfair. Not everybody on a pension is on benefits, and nor do they necessarily have thousands saved up in the bank, but this seems to have escaped the Government's modus operandi of qualifying, which doesn't particularly surprise me Mayhap I shall write to my local MP, whoever that is!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
We have E7 in our flats and the people above me have cottoned on to this. The woman on the top flat admitted that she did it but when I happened to mention I could hear it she agreed to stop. I asked how she could sleep with it! She just said she closed her doors. Our flats have very poor sound insulation and if I can hear her machine 2 floors down, why can't she hear it herself? There is no way I would run my machine in the middle of the night. Heck, I could hear a pin drop! The wash cycle is ok: it's the spinning that goes on forever.

Our heating and hot water is controlled by E7 too.

If I could outlaw two things, it would be running washing machines in the night and of course laminate flooring.
Absolutely agree about the laminate flooring, sounds like our upstairs neighbours have hobnailed boots on when they walk around their living room. Mind that isn't as bad as their loud music and loud swearing. Outlaw flats I say LOL
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Thanks Lia, but the cost of running my central heating isn't the issue, As I said in my first post, my boiler is 40 years old and has now been put AT RISK, so I am choosing not to use it again for safety's sake, and I can't afford to buy a new one, but thank you for the valuable information you've supplied for others.

I have back-up plans so I will most definitely not be succumbing to hypothermia. I was highlighting the fact that those who are, and who are not entitled to a new boiler, is unfair. Not everybody on a pension is on benefits, and nor do they necessarily have thousands saved up in the bank, but this seems to have escaped the Government's modus operandi of qualifying, which doesn't particularly surprise me Mayhap I shall write to my local MP, whoever that is!
That scheme is annoying us too our boiler is now obsolete so no more repairs if it goes wrong, can't afford on low wages to replace it but our neighbour who has not worked in years has just had his replaced for free.
Ophelia
New Member!
North Wales UK
Ophelia is female 

10-10-2013, 11:13 PM

Hi Julie and Mollie

I did read your post Mollie, I just went on a bit of a rant - sorry!

I understand that it is boiler replacement that is the issue for you. It is really awful, as you say, that those claiming benefits can get new boilers on various schemes where anyone managing on their own pension, does not qualify. Life is just unfair.

The only thing I can suggest (and please remember that it is some time since I was involved) is to check with Age Concern...or a similar organisation. If there are any schemes to help with boiler replacement, they will know. For any ex-service people, the British Legion used to be wonderful, they helped people with fuel debt and supported them in lots of ways. I have no idea if this is still the case.

I have no idea what you do with neighbours and laminate flooring, in flats. I did think that environmental health could get involved? I know new properties have to have adequate sound insulation (not sure what "adequate" is of course!

My house is terraced - but as it is 150 years old, and in the country - so it has 2 foot thick stone walls - so luckily I can't hear a thing! It is very hard to heat though!

Lia
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2013, 10:56 AM

Ophelia, legally I couldn't do anything about the laminate, except endlessly harass the owners of the flat above me! When she first moved in some years ago I caught her in the act of getting it down and flew up the stairs to ask for it to stop, citing noise disturbance.

She went ahead and for years afterwards, especially when she moved out and put tenants in I complained all the time!! Early this year, in between tenants, they finally replaced it with carpet.

I still have issues with their tenants, slamming doors and windows, but I tirelessly complained about that too! They have been spoken to.

There was a case recently where people were troubled by a woman walking in stilettos across her wooden floor and they lost! Therefore, I couldn't take them to court, could I, and risk losing all my savings?

The law is a bit grey I think on laminate. It may look nice and be easy to sweep and clean, but users MUST realise the impact it has on people living close by. It is a nightmare. Been there done it.

Where were we...?
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Oh dear, we are on top of three floors and we have laminate flooring, but we did use the thickest insulation underneath. Daft thing is the guy on the floor below constantly whinged about hearing us walk/talk before laying it, but has said nowt since. Mind you according to other tenants he has grumbled to everyone about just about everything since he moved in. As the elderly lady next door to me said, "some people never get the hang of living in a flat, and the give and take that has to become part of life."
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-10-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Oh dear, we are on top of three floors and we have laminate flooring, but we did use the thickest insulation underneath. Daft thing is the guy on the floor below constantly whinged about hearing us walk/talk before laying it, but has said nowt since. Mind you according to other tenants he has grumbled to everyone about just about everything since he moved in. As the elderly lady next door to me said, "some people never get the hang of living in a flat, and the give and take that has to become part of life."
Sorry, don't agree with that last bit! There's no 'give and take' in my personal circumstances with tenants who, night after night after night, keep me awake! I own my flat (from new, 19 years), they have been tenants since early this year. They take,take,take!

If people are causing misery to others on a continual basis, then it's only fair that they are made aware of this and given the chance to put things right.

My head is pounding at the moment, despite many painkillers. Stress!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Have you approached environmental health? Had the noise level monitored? Kept a diary of the disturbances? I suggest you do all these, inform the people you are doing so, and also contact their landlord.

Failing these actions invest in some earplugs

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top