Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Re: Windows

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Many thanks for your replies - I shall jot them down and then have a go but I'm worried I'll mess it all up again!

Mark - yes, it's worrying me too as it has changed everything, even my desktop, every icon has gone (including my games ) It's Windows 7, I was running AVG and search Engine was Firefox. When I turned the laptop off last night, it said there were 11 updates to be made and it started making them, normally, I just switch the laptop off but thought 'nah, I'll leave it running just in case' and then this morning, it doesn't even look like my laptop onscreen. No idea what's happened. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the computer shop as he charges a fortune and my son, if I ask him, adopts that put-upon look even though I rarely ask him to look at it for me.
Funny you should say that Karen, I took automatic updates
yesterday and something strange happened to my blue task bar, it became white and the icons disappeared .
I was just starting to panic when I remembered to try turning the laptop off then on again and they came back
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Funny you should say that Karen, I took automatic updates
yesterday and something strange happened to my blue task bar, it became white and the icons disappeared .
I was just starting to panic when I remembered to try turning the laptop off then on again and they came back
I hope it is something that simple Meg but I removed most of the Windows stuff because it's so intrusive and kept disabling AVG (which I prefer) and Firefox (which I also prefer to IE) so I'm not sure why it's reinstalled itself.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:56 AM

I hope it is something that simple Meg but I removed most of the Windows stuff because it's so intrusive and kept disabling AVG (which I prefer) and Firefox (which I also prefer to IE) so I'm not sure why it's reinstalled itself.
Tis a mystery .
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Tis a mystery .
Is that wink telling me you know what the problem is but not telling!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 11:13 AM

if so Mark will get my cross face
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
if so Mark will get my cross face
Blimey Meg, it frightened me!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 11:27 AM

After trying to help another unfortunate over the phone I think I better curtail such activities or I will have a nervous breakdown .

You are on your own . For now anyways...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 01:49 PM

I wish the BBC would have a program telling people who are completely useless, like me how to do things on computers, I'm sure lots of people replace theirs because they don't know how to sort them out! They could have a phone/e-mail-in section to answer our questions & give advice! It would be a good use of our licence fee! I've been on courses & been totally confused because the tutors always end up talking to some whizz-kid who's just there to show off so I gave that up!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

15-08-2013, 10:15 PM

I gave in and rang my son who turned up tonight - he was a bit concerned when I told him that all my desktop stuff and games had gone and that I wasn't recognised on any sites I visit and neither did AVG recognise my computer.

He couldn't figure out what had happend so he reset the laptop back a week and has stopped all downloads unless I give a specific okay to each and every one. All my things are back where they should be and sites recognise me again

Thank you again to those who offered suggestions.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

16-08-2013, 07:45 AM

I gave in and rang my son who turned up tonight - he was a bit concerned when I told him that all my desktop stuff and games had gone and that I wasn't recognised on any sites I visit and neither did AVG recognise my computer.

He couldn't figure out what had happend so he reset the laptop back a week and has stopped all downloads unless I give a specific okay to each and every one. All my things are back where they should be and sites recognise me again

Thank you again to those who offered suggestions.
Darn and I was just about to tell you what was wrong and how to fix it .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top