Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Re: Windows

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Darn and I was just about to tell you what was wrong and how to fix it .
Ah, life's lesson: to reach the finish line, you need to be in front and not lagging behind
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2013, 08:32 PM

I can't figure out what went wrong for you, but I do know that if you use Microsoft Windows then those updates are absolutely vital except for one which is KB971033. I don't install this one so I just right click and hide it.

It sounds to me like some Malware was downloaded, or a virus, so hope you've done scans since getting it all back to normal.

However, I once installed Microsoft Security Essentials thinking it would be safe, and my computer totally crashed and my computer had to be totally formatted. Not nice.

Darned infernal contraptions, these computers!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Thanks Mollie - this laptop, I only use for gaming and chatting so any snoopers won't find anything more interesting than how rubbish I am at gaming but I think that maybe something was attached to the downloads. I have upgraded AVG and will do a scan but I'm worried I'll lose everything so I need to get a removable hard drive first and copy my files - won't that copy any malware as well though?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I gave in and rang my son who turned up tonight - he was a bit concerned when I told him that all my desktop stuff and games had gone and that I wasn't recognised on any sites I visit and neither did AVG recognise my computer.

He couldn't figure out what had happend so he reset the laptop back a week and has stopped all downloads unless I give a specific okay to each and every one. All my things are back where they should be and sites recognise me again

Thank you again to those who offered suggestions.
Wouldn't life be simple if we could restore our software to pre a traumatic situation, hang on, maybe we can.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2013, 10:28 PM

SYSTEM RESTORE, gosh if only we could do it in real life, or perhaps not.
anewday
New Member!
OH, USA
anewday is female 

18-08-2013, 06:46 AM

You could try to do a reboot back to the last configuration.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-configuration

Usually, you do this when windows won't boot after hardware or software installations, so in your case it may not be able to undo the updates. But depending on what caused the updates to ignore your settings, it may be able to remove that glitch.
Good luck!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Wouldn't life be simple if we could restore our software to pre a traumatic situation, hang on, maybe we can.
You know spitfire - that would be brilliant and I wish that life could imitate science sometimes. Wasn't there a thread on that not long ago?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by anewday ->
You could try to do a reboot back to the last configuration.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-configuration

Usually, you do this when windows won't boot after hardware or software installations, so in your case it may not be able to undo the updates. But depending on what caused the updates to ignore your settings, it may be able to remove that glitch.
Good luck!
Many thanks anewday - my son set it back one week and it did the trick. The main problem was that Microsoft overrode AVG and closed it down (it's done this before) but I didn't know I could turn off the updates from Microsoft - now I have! So hopefully, it's all sorted. Once I get a removable hard disk, I'll do a full AVG scan.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top