Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Re: Giving and taking

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
My parents, mother especially, wanted everything her way - it was always "What would would people think of me?" if I didn't do what she wanted.
That brought back a memory... in the seventies I went to art college. My jeans had numerous traces of paint on them from an occasional swipe of my brush or palette knife. My mother wanted me to wear clean, dressy pants while riding the bus and subway to school and change my clothes there because she worried what people would think of HER, seeing me in paint-bedecked jeans.

I put the original quote up there while musing on some challenging aspects of my relationship.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Never put another person on a pedestal, let them share yours.

Spitfire circa 2013.
Good one !
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I am better than no one and no one is better than me.
"........there's no one to beat you
No one to defeat you
'Cept the thoughts of yourself feeling bad

I've heard you say many times
That you're better THAN no one
And no one is better THAN you
If you really believe that
You know you have
Nothing to win and nothing to lose
From fixtures and forces and friends
Your sorrow does stem
That hype you and type you
Making you feel
That you gotta be just like them."

Bob Dylan - To Ramona
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 03:10 PM

Reflecting on the quote further I would go so far as to say the standard set was unconditional love.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

18-03-2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
That brought back a memory... in the seventies I went to art college. My jeans had numerous traces of paint on them from an occasional swipe of my brush or palette knife. My mother wanted me to wear clean, dressy pants while riding the bus and subway to school and change my clothes there because she worried what people would think of HER, seeing me in paint-bedecked jeans.

I put the original quote up there while musing on some challenging aspects of my relationship.
My mother would have given Hyacinth Bucket a run for her money in the comedy, "Keeping up Appearances. She was always worried about what people were thinking. I nearly electrocuted myself when I was eight due to my Father's interesting way with electrics. Mother went ballistic at him. "What would people say if she had been killed?"
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 03:46 PM

Well I am not as good as I was once, but I am better once than I ever was.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 05:32 PM

I must be a bit thick cos I don't "get"the quote. What do you understand from this quote, which has obviously struck a chord with you Annie.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Never set your self up for a fall.... Give what you can and expect nothing from any one .... when you recieve it gladdens the heart so much more ...
When I first meet people I tell them to expect nothing from me ... then I wont dissapoint ...That leaves me free to give when Im comfortable to do so.....
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

18-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I must be a bit thick cos I don't "get"the quote. What do you understand from this quote, which has obviously struck a chord with you Annie.
Well, I'm a giver. For the most part I'm ok with doing so voluntarily, sometimes anonymously, often on request. If I have the resources to help someone in need, why not? I'm not really a "what's in it for me" sort of person and I'm uncomfortable with people reciprocating. So maybe that makes me a doormat or a soft touch. Or foolish.

I've recently fallen short of meeting the standards of someone I care for deeply and that caused a serious rift and some hurtful, verbal abuse. So, on reading the quote I wondered... what value do I place on my own well-being, on my soul, that I let myself be treated this way?

I guess it's a bit obscure in the phrasing but that's how I interpreted it. Doesn't matter now... water under the bridge. Not sure what I was thinking posting it, but there it is.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Now I understand .

When I was a young man , I adopted from this saying by HERACLITUS

“ A mans character is his DESTINY” ( or character).

A person's character might be summed up by examining how they behave when no one is looking.... and how that behavior matches up to ethical norms, personal and/or societal. So these choices in how one acts day to day will add up to a positive or negative character and therefore to what happens to them in the long run... their fate

I’m still waiting for my 15 minutes of fame. Also I wont find out until I’m promoted to Glory which Robert Junior was the real me.

Heraclitus,
On the Universe
Greek philosopher
(540 BC - 480 BC).

BTW Annie, I sometimes cringe when I re read some of my previous days tosh
[/SIZE]

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top