Join for free
Page 17 of 98 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 05:34 PM

Re: Premium Bonds

Originally Posted by galty ->
Just worked out my P/B winnings over the last year.

Had a return of just under 3%
You were lucky galty, I've just worked mine out and my return was 1.2%.
Still that's better than the banks.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 05:38 PM

Please can you tell me how you work it out ?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2017, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Please can you tell me how you work it out ?
Well you can either scroll through all your bank statements for the last 12 months to see what your total winnings are...but that might not work if you've paid in the NS&I cheques along with others.

Or, this is better...go to the NS&I website and log in and go to your winnings.
Tot up 12 months worth and work it out as a percentage of whatever amount of Premium Bonds you've got.

So for example if you've got £2,000 of Bonds and you've won £50 during the year, then your return on your £2,000 is 2½%.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Where ya crusin to OGF?
Booked a cruise today Realist.......
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We have never been greedy people we just like knowing that little bit we have is there if we need it.
Each to their own, but I don't consider myself greedy by finding an IFA to advise and invest on my behalf. I also like to know that the little bit I have is there if I need it!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Well you can either scroll through all your bank statements for the last 12 months to see what your total winnings are...but that might not work if you've paid in the NS&I cheques along with others.

Or, this is better...go to the NS&I website and log in and go to your winnings.
Tot up 12 months worth and work it out as a percentage of whatever amount of Premium Bonds you've got.

So for example if you've got £2,000 of Bonds and you've won £50 during the year, then your return on your £2,000 is 2½%.
Thanks Ruthio .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-08-2017, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Each to their own, but I don't consider myself greedy by finding an IFA to advise and invest on my behalf. I also like to know that the little bit I have is there if I need it!
It's not being greedy.
At the moment keeping money in a saving account is effectively losing money as inflation is much higher than interest rates .
So for savers or those trying not to lose their savings it's a difficult time..
Meanwhile cheap loans have caused oceans of debt for young people and made house prices rise to the stratosphere making it practically impossible for many young people today to ever own a house .
At the same time older people who put money asaide for their retirement find ther savings eroding before their eyes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-08-2017, 07:56 AM

You were lucky galty, I've just worked mine out and my return was 1.2%.
Still that's better than the banks.
It is , I haven't worked out mine yet .
Meanwhile smaller banks are giving better that the large ones .

Shawbrook Bank is offering 1.2% on instant access .
If the smaller banks can do it why don't the main ones ?

https://www.shawbrook.co.uk/savings/
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 04:38 PM

Well you can either scroll through all your bank statements for the last 12 months to see what your total winnings are . . .

Sorry Ruthio but the numbers are not as simple as this. You can't "cherry pick" a specific point in time where you won prizes. To assess whether your premium bonds are a good or bad investment you need to do the calculation on the total number of bonds you won and crucially the total period that you have owned them in conjunction with the total amount of prizes you have won.

There is a simple calculator here that people can use:

Premium Bonds Investment Return Calculator

http://www.invidion.co.uk/premiumBon.../css/tools.css

The odds of winning a £50 prize are apparently 24000:1 so the basic odds tell me that Premium Bonds are certainly NOT a great investment. They are much like the National Lottery.
The prize money for all the basic prizes is far far too low for the odds of winning those prizes.

e.g. If it costs you £1 to place a dice bet and you win £3 every time you roll a 6,

Then the astute should immediately see that this is a "sucker bet". On average a 6 will come up every 6th roll. So you will have paid £6 for those 6 rolls yet you only win £3. Hence it is a losing proposition.

The National Lottery odds for matching 3 numbers used to be 54 to 1 (when there were just 49 numbers) and the prize for that was a mere £10. Hence a total sucker bet.

The only prizes of any merit are the really big ones and the odds of winning one are astronomically against you.

Overall Premium Bonds exist to remove money from the element of the populous that is either lazy, or which doesn't understand basic odds, or which are just dreamers or all of the above.

You are literally handing your cash over to a bloke you have never met so that he can go and invest your money on real prospects which will generate a good return for him whilst he gives you pretty much NOTHING back in return.

It is only the way the entire thing is wrapped up and presented that makes people think it is something else.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

11-08-2017, 08:15 PM

OMG I have just used this .
I have had some of these bonds since I was a child

My total is 1.19%

Page 17 of 98 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top