Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 08:40 PM

Re: Steam Cleaners

I've had a go with a steam cleaner (daughter has one). I prefer a minit mop with one of those absorbent fibre clothes on the end of it. To be honest I am a bit wary of the steam damaging wooden floors.
What I have found useful is the Vax carpet shampooer. Better than hiring a Rug Doctor - not as heavy, which reminds me I had better have a go at our lounge carpet again.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 09:32 PM

Ditch the carpets imo. They are unhealthy, you can never really clean them properly. A steam cleaner can kill germs but in the end all the carpet fibres will gradually get clogged with all manner of dirt and bacteria which will multiply faster than you can keep killing them off with a steamer.

Replace with laminate flooring throughout the house or real wooden flooring if you can afford it. There won't be any carpet smells or tiny fibres floating in the air. Easy to hoover, you can see exactly where any dirt is, you can wet clean and steam clean too with most modern floors.

Each to their own of course !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2015, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Ditch the carpets imo. They are unhealthy, you can never really clean them properly. A steam cleaner can kill germs but in the end all the carpet fibres will gradually get clogged with all manner of dirt and bacteria which will multiply faster than you can keep killing them off with a steamer.

Replace with laminate flooring throughout the house or real wooden flooring if you can afford it. There won't be any carpet smells or tiny fibres floating in the air. Easy to hoover, you can see exactly where any dirt is, you can wet clean and steam clean too with most modern floors.

Also each to what won't annoy their neighbours - your ideas in a flat are major cause of arguments about noise !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2015, 12:41 PM

I wish we could - Fabs sanded all the floorboards in our house and brought them up lovely - now we are in a flat so can't rip up the carpet ..........
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2015, 02:11 PM

How I agree with you Realist. Our lounge is the only room left with a carpet and when that gets too tatty I will have a wooden floor like in the other rooms. When I last had a look at the floorboards they are really very good in there and it is a temptation to simply sand and seal them, but OH says we need to insulate them against draughts, but I don't think we can - so a nice natural oak plank floor over the top I think it's gonna be.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2015, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Also each to what won't annoy their neighbours - your ideas in a flat are major cause of arguments about noise !
Well that depends whether people take the cheap option of laying a thin roll of useless insulation material beneath the laminate or whether they do it properly and lay whisper boards down first. Whisper boards iron out any uneven areas of the floor and provide a higher level of soundproofing. If you were in a flat and conscious of making noise below, you could go for 2 layers of whisper boards. Really easy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 08:50 AM

Well that depends whether people take the cheap option of laying a thin roll of useless insulation material beneath the laminate or whether they do it properly and lay whisper boards down first. Whisper boards iron out any uneven areas of the floor and provide a higher level of soundproofing. If you were in a flat and conscious of making noise below, you could go for 2 layers of whisper boards. Really easy.
Thanks for the info - will check that out
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 11:46 AM

Well we will never know the council banned hard flooring in flats here years ago and everyone has to have carpets in all rooms but the bathroom and kitchen.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well we will never know the council banned hard flooring in flats here years ago and everyone has to have carpets in all rooms but the bathroom and kitchen.
But surely by having carpet in certain rooms, but not in others that would be defeating the whole object.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2015, 12:11 PM

I stayed in a large open plan house while on holiday last week, the floors were all of white tiles and the bifold glass doors had blinds.
The result was I had difficulty hearing anything anyone said because there was an echo . This was something I had never considered before about a carpetless home.

It was a beautiful place in the summer but even with underfloor heating would 'feel' cold and uninviting for me in the winter .

I love carpets and have had some new ones this year.
If I want to clean my carpets I hire a cleaner and the fluid from a DIY shop , they leave the carpet clean and reasonably dry the only drawback is they quite heavy to lift around.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top