Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:27 AM

Can openers

I have quite a few in recent years and my current one bought from Morrison's a couple of years ago has just fallen to pieces in my hand.
I do have a couple of very antiquated ones from the last century that I use as fall-backs and an electric one that I can never fathom out how to use, so........can anyone recommend a good all-round every day can opener that will last me a few years !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:42 AM

Re: Can openers

I've tried a couple of the newer versions and always go back to the butterfly type - I find the others just cant handle a slightly dented tin .........
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:51 AM

Malcolm I had a couple which were useless and have had an 'OXO good grip' for 4 years . It is excellent and can cope with sardine tins (the dog has sardines)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen/dp/B...oxo+good+grips
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:52 AM

Ive got a butterfly one somewhere...

We hardly ever have anything in a can but most of them have the ring pulls now dont they?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

We hardly ever have anything in a can but most of them have the ring pulls now dont they?
Yes they do Cass but these often break off and that can be really frustrating .
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Yes they do Cass but these often break off and that can be really frustrating .

I do remember the corned beef cans from years ago..Dad used to always open them at both ends with a can opener he said it was because he was fond of his fingers. !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Malcolm I had a couple which were useless and have had an 'OXO good grip' for 4 years . It is excellent and can cope with sardine tins (the dog has sardines)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen/dp/B...oxo+good+grips
Like the look of that one Meg - worth a try
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 11:06 AM

I splashed out and bought my current one from Sainsbury's ... I was desperate ! It's a very ordinary one and I find it excellent.

Wiil take a pic later and put it on here

I also have Mum's wall can-opener .. they cost more but are pretty good.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->

Not if you buy unbranded tins, Tesco value etc all need an opener.

Can't recommend one as I swear mine is trying to take my fingers off every time I use it
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 11:17 AM

culinare magican are very good and comfy to hold, i've had mine for years.

after posting i had a look on amazon and was surprised by the many bad reviews ! looking closer,the amazon one has hollow handles, mine are solid.
so maybe they changed the design or changed manufacturers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top