Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 11:54 AM

Re: Can openers

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Malcolm I had a couple which were useless and have had an 'OXO good grip' for 4 years . It is excellent and can cope with sardine tins (the dog has sardines)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen/dp/B...oxo+good+grips
Thanks Meg that looks great !
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Here's mine ... very comfortable grip too

malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 12:17 PM

That looks great, still got the bar code sticker on so must never have been washed
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 12:27 PM

I went to see one of my lovely clients , she's 89 , she'd bought a cheap can opener from the £1 shop. For days she could not open her can of prunes , asked me to try. This thing refused to grip or open the can , in the end I hammered at it with screw driver , we managed to get the juice out from the prunes which she drank immediately ,with a big smile said , "that'll get me on the loo".

I suggested she bought a good one , which she did the next day.

Never worth buying cheap
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
That looks great, still got the bar code sticker on so must never have been washed
Lol .. I only wash the mucky bits

Looked online at the reviews and they are not good !!!
They do look the same as mine
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I went to see one of my lovely clients , she's 89 , she'd bought a cheap can opener from the £1 shop. For days she could not open her can of prunes , asked me to try. This thing refused to grip or open the can , in the end I hammered at it with screw driver , we managed to get the juice out from the prunes which she drank immediately ,with a big smile said , "that'll get me on the loo".

I suggested she bought a good one , which she did the next day.

Never worth buying cheap
Yep I agree about buying fairly decent ones. I had a couple from a pound shop before this 'deluxe' version and the last one fell apart so I got a refund !
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Malcolm I had a couple which were useless and have had an 'OXO good grip' for 4 years . It is excellent and can cope with sardine tins (the dog has sardines)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/kitchen/dp/B...oxo+good+grips
I have one very similar to yours Meg but I bought mine off the market 15 years ago and it's still going strong. A few years ago we also bought one of those that you pop on the can and leave it to open itself, I think it worked twice !
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 02:26 PM

I have one similar to Megs OXO grip one ,its pretty good and I also have a butterfly opener one too just for back up. Those fray bentos tin lids are lethal thats when the can opener goes all the way round in one go (which isnt very often)
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 03:52 PM

Going back to the corned beef tins, I never had problems opening them. I did always chill the tin in the fridge, but doubt that was the reason for successful opening.

Nowadays I can buy a vacuum pack for £1.

Tin openers? Oh er, I use the old fashioned type and one with thick white handles. The electric opener hardly gets used.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2015, 08:03 PM

I'm on my third can opener in just over a year. Can't remember what the first one was, the 2nd I bought from Sainsbury's and opening a can was a scary pursuit..... the can never opened cleanly, lots of jagged edges and some cut fingers trying to prize the can lid open. Absolute rubbish they both were.

I paid £6 for a Procook one and its brilliant. Would recommend it highly.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top