Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 10:31 AM

Shelf clips

If there’s one invention I loathe with a vengeance it’s those keyhole docking clips things they have on the backs of electrical plug extensions, wall clocks, shelves etc., you know the type where you screw a screw into the wall leaving a little bit out in order to clip onto the back of the sockets and then begin the task of trying to find the head of the screws because you can’t see them hidden behind the article you are hanging up, alright I know it’s supposed to be easy once the measuring is done correct, but the problem with my walls is that they are the old type and the concrete has small hard pebbles in it so when I use the masonry drill it shifts one way or the other when it hits a pebble and you never get it where you want it exactly.
I was only too pleased yesterday when Phyllis asked me to hang a long hall coat hanger she bought in Ikea, that is until I saw these cursed things on the back of it, anyway I measured exactly where I wanted the holes and began to drill, to my surprise they didn’t shift too much and I put in the wall plugs then proceeded to screw in the screws, i had already assembled the hanger and asked Phyllis to hold one end while I held the other, and with the big wooden hanger blocking the holes we were like two blind mice trying to dock the space shuttle, then she let out a joyful shout “Jimmy I got my end in!” that was great and gave me renewed hope and eventually i got my end it too, but when she let her end go the bloody thing fell down on her head, she was stunned for a bit but OK after she put a bag of ice on her head. When it was finally up I drilled two holes through the wood and right into the wall and screwed two big screws right through the whole thing for safety sake.
If you’re thinking of buying a long wooden coat hanger and you don’t want any hassle, make sure it hasn’t got docking clips on the back first.
PS. A bit of good news, the knock on the head must have done the missus some good because she's in terrific humour this morning.

wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Re: Shelf clips

Funnily enough Jem I find them a great idea but there again I don't have the old type concrete walls that you have I could imagine it being a nightmare with those.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 12:00 PM

Over the years I think the air has turned blue more often with them than anything else. So I completely agree with you
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
Funnily enough Jem I find them a great idea but there again I don't have the old type concrete walls that you have I could imagine it being a nightmare with those.
Nice to know you like them Wishbone, must be a treat having pebble free walls.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 01:30 PM

I have a few items with them Jem and I don't find them difficult at all.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 02:11 PM

Well....I'm a keen do it yourselfer but I must admit I have never come across this type of thing ..... Yet !
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 05:12 PM

It's OK if there is just 1 of the things on an item, but when there are 2 or even 4... #%€$^*+.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top