Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 08:55 PM

Energy Supply

I decided to change my energy company.but I am on a Smart meter, which is read automatically by my energy company.But it seems that none of the other companies do this, I will have to read my meters and submit my reading to them. As I have difficulty in reading the meters and didnt want to have to read and submit the readings regularly, I dont think I will bother after all
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:02 PM

Re: Energy Supply

Oh that's not good I thought they all did it ? We can't have a smart meter so have no choice but have ours read and read it ourselves.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:06 PM

Hello Yvonne is there anyone who can show you how to read a meter.

I understand at the moment when a smart meter is installed by the energy company it belongs to them and if you change energy companies they change the meter and install their own.

You could look for another company and tell them you are unable to read the meter before you go ahead , they may send someone to show you how or have the ability to do it remotely.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:08 PM

Reading a meter is straightforward, give it a try.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:33 PM

Yvonne who are you getting your energy from at the moment.
If you put the companies name along with 'how to read a smart meter' into Google you will find examples of how to do it.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 09:46 PM

Just been reading about this since it seems it may be rolled out everywhere, eventually. It states that the company you decide to switch to has to take you on and the smart meter can be switched to dumb mode - whatever that means - turned off, maybe?
Will have to investigate further at some point.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 11:21 PM

Just changed my suppy.

The new supply people just take on the old meter, it has a number which is on a national registration base .

Reading a meter with numbers is easy, even off peak dual tariffs.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
Just been reading about this since it seems it may be rolled out everywhere, eventually. It states that the company you decide to switch to has to take you on and the smart meter can be switched to dumb mode - whatever that means - turned off, maybe?
Will have to investigate further at some point.

My electricity meter conked out this summer so they had to install a new one. They did their best to convince me I needed a smart meter, but I had already done my homework before I spoke to them and knew it wasn't compulsory at all just yet. I also knew that by the time we do all have to have them, apparently the current ones will have to be replaced with the newer versions anyway.
They kept telling me "but you won't have to read the meter anymore", but I said I didn't find it a problem and it takes a matter of seconds, and I did NOT want a smart meter.

Eventually they installed the new meter but adjusted it to 'Dumb Mode' which means it works as the old meter did. It doesn't record this that and the other like they wanted it to and doesn't send them readings. I read my own Gas/Elec & Water meters every quarter and prefer it that way, because I don't like, or pay, estimated bills. If I do it myself I know its accurate.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 06:17 AM

I do the same Mups.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 07:29 AM

Obviously only deylon can answer but perhaps it's a physical problem about reading the meter, ours in half way up the stairs and you have to balance to read the electric - the gas is easier as it's on the landing area, Steven usually does it as I have fallen twice trying to manoeuvre the doors open as I stand on one leg.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top