Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 09:56 AM

Re: Energy Supply

If that were the case, they will often move them for you. They were going to move my Mum's moved for her because her's was too high up to read, but unfortunately Mum died before they did it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 10:09 AM

I doubt they would do that there are 12 meters in each cupboard would be a mammoth task to move them all.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2015, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Just changed my suppy.

The new supply people just take on the old meter, it has a number which is on a national registration base .

Reading a meter with numbers is easy, even off peak dual tariffs.
Is yours a smart meter dukeofearl? Just wondered how many of us have them - mine's the old type.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 11:38 PM

I don't like the fact the energy company has total control over your usage and can easily disconnect your supply in certain circumstances by the flick of a switch. There can also be issues should you want to change your supplier and may need a new meter installed, all too much fuss for my liking.

They aren't compulsory until 2020 so I'll stick with my old meter until then
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I don't like the fact the energy company has total control over your usage and can easily disconnect your supply in certain circumstances by the flick of a switch. There can also be issues should you want to change your supplier and may need a new meter installed, all too much fuss for my liking.

They aren't compulsory until 2020 so I'll stick with my old meter until then

I completely agree with you Honey. I refused to have one recently as well.
I believe they are starting with the compulsory ones in 2016 with an aim to finishing all installations by 2020.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 12:05 AM

By law they can't make you have one until 2020 so I'm not budging until then
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
By law they can't make you have one until 2020 so I'm not budging until then
Honey I am not so sure about that being enforceable..
Can I refuse a smart meter?
Yes you can, especially now that the official roll-out hasn't even started. Smart meters are not mandatory.
Even once the official roll-out starts in April 2016, and although energy companies have been asked to take 'all reasonable steps' to install smart meters in every home, you should still be able to refuse a smart meter.
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...-a-smart-meter
and I think the estimated cost £11bn it will take to install smart meters which I understand will be passed on to customers in their bills is a total waste of money.

Over the period to 2030, the installation of smart meters will provide £6.2 billion net benefits to the UK: the programme will cost £10.9 billion and provide £17.1 billion in benefits.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...7-smart-meters
I don't know who did the cost benefit analysis but I think they live in a different world to mine.

I would not save a penny by having a smart meter and I think there must be thousands of people like me who do not need a meter to tell them everything we use in our homes cost money to run right down to the last light bulb which we already turn off if possible.

I already read my own meter every month and send the reading to the power company so I don't cost them money in wages fo a meter reader.
As far as I can see the only people to benefit from smart meters will be the power companies.

Theoretically and I have heard it said that smart meters could enable the power companies to reduce the cost of power at certain times of the day when there is low usage on the system but I can't see them doing that unless it is raised at times of peak usage.

If people choose to have a smart meter installed they should pay for it themselves.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2015, 08:38 PM

I have contacted some other companies but all expect me to read my meter and e.mail/phone the reading to them. One company asked if I could 'get a neighbour to read them for me 'Both my meters are on the house walls outside,I have to crouch down to see the reading ,neither my eye sight or my general health are very good,I cant see the numbers very well as the meters are in a shade,also I would be exposed to the elements to go out and read them,whether I was well or not.So Im staying,I have been satisfied with BG for many years
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2015, 12:12 PM

I'm with Ovo and have had a smart metre for about 6 months, and I thought that any new company would take on the metre. I was thinking of changing, but am not sure if I will now.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2015, 03:23 PM

All the guff about Smart Meters is a laugh really.

There are really no "cost advantages" because unless you are thick as two short planks, everyone must know roughly their spend on energy these days as it's so high compared to 1960 - 1975 costs.

We said No to a Smart Meter as they cannot be "transferred" between companies and it would have cost us money to have an electrician properly install mains points and connections to where the meter would have had to go as our meters are in two different places.

Either I or my wife reads the meter - even the awkward one and notes it down where I then calculate our consumption and the bill.

As ours is monthly it is simple to keep a check on things. stevmk2

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top